Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here's a a link to The Colt Forum where I've posted a thread about this Colt. Lots of interest there. Read everything posted so far. It's quite interesting.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/sing...-u-s-colt.html

You have a very valuable gun that is worthy of professional restoration to shooting condition. I would not refinish it, just make it workable.

It's just an opinion, but you can fix a piece any time, but you can't unfix it ever again. There's still a lot to learn about this wonderful piece and I think you still have places to go and people to see before you decide whether to fix or not to fix. It's already been in this condition for over a hundred years. As a collector, I wouldn't touch it. If you want a working pistol, buy a replica. If you fix this one, you will, at best, have a working pistol that may still risk catastrophic failure each time it is shot. And, it will just be another old SAA. As it is now its trying to tell you its own, unique history. Try to listen.

If you ever contact the appraiser again, you might want to ask him what you should use as "insurance value". That's dealer speak for an approximate, retail price they would ask if it were their's. I'm guessing that his number that he gave you is what he thinks it could bring at an auction which are most frequently attended by dealers.

This is a wonderful piece and it's character sets apart from most of the others. Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks 70ish. Some Excellent advice to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The cylinder pin is the wrong type, that could be replaced with a correct type and fit and it'd be OK. The hammer spring is busted. Again, that could be replaced as well as a trigger and cylinder bolt and trigger/bolt spring. It also needs a new cylinder pin retaining screw. Those pieces are all small and often replaced with little effect on the value of these old U.S. Cavalry Colts. I don't think that any knowledgeable collector would turn his nose up at this Colt. Some might try to convince the owner who they want to buy it from that their Colt wasn't worth much.
    One guy on the Colt Forum tried to convince me that the Colt was actually a piece of Junk that should be hung on a wall. Ha!
    The screws for the trigger, the cylinder stop and the hammer already look newer than those for the frame and backstop. It sounds like you have already checked the trigger and trigger spring and the cylinder stop, but if you haven't yet inspected the internals, you may find that those parts are also replaced. If so, it would be a bit of a flag for a collector. He/She may want to know when, why, and by whom, etc. If the original parts are not in the pistol, it means more questions. All are reasons to proceed slowly, one step at a time. Eventually you will reach a point from which you can make a decision that seems right.

One of the comments on the Colt forum, I think, indicated that the hand, if missing, is not available as a replacement. That's not altogether true. Replacements are available, but very hard to fit properly.
    Last edited by 70ish; 06-30-2015 at 11:51.

I've had some internal pistol parts built up... by a fellow who knows how to weld.. shape & tempering....I let him do it on my duty pistol is how much I trust his work.. I've since put thru somewhere north of 6000 rounds through it... with my lead practice loads mimicking my duty loads on point of impact & dern close on recoil..........Check with Bill L. at Cylinder & Slide in Nebraska... he built up, shaped & tempered my sear on a 1st year Browning high power that I carried on duty... He's a heck of a nice guy too & does superb work............. I'd never worry about him having any of our firearms ever..........Good luck to you again Fred... hope you end up with her...........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Thanks Gimp! I hope I can own it one day.