Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old Colt U.S. stamped Cavalry Single Action Army

Let me post the pictures and then I'll tell where it came from and such. It was made in 1875.

OK, the pistol belongs to a man and wife that my wife and I know. It was inherited from the man's great grandfather who had run off to work on a horse ranch up in Montana or Wyoming at the age of 14. I'm not sure where he got it, but It's intact except for needing a new trigger, trigger/bolt spring, hammer spring, and maybe a new trigger. All small parts.
    My wife and I asked them if we could take it to the Antique Road Show Saturday here in Omaha. We'll see what the old Colt is worth. Anyway, it's an early one that could be repaired with not too much expense. Notice the three notches cut with a file next to the bottom back strap screw. Wish it were mine. The man's son's don't care for it and so maybe, when he and his wife need some extra money, They'll be willing to sell it to us.

Last edited by Fred; 06-25-2015 at 10:20.

What is the purpose of the metal plate below the cylinder? Great looking pistol! Any other known history about it?

Metal plate look like a shim to help hold the cylinder alignment with the barrel. If you replace some parts you may devalue it a bit for collecters.

The cylinder pin is the wrong type, that could be replaced with a correct type and fit and it'd be OK. The hammer spring is busted. Again, that could be replaced as well as a trigger and cylinder bolt and trigger/bolt spring. It also needs a new cylinder pin retaining screw. Those pieces are all small and often replaced with little effect on the value of these old U.S. Cavalry Colts. I don't think that any knowledgeable collector would turn his nose up at this Colt. Some might try to convince the owner who they want to buy it from that their Colt wasn't worth much.
    One guy on the Colt Forum tried to convince me that the Colt was actually a piece of Junk that should be hung on a wall. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    What is the purpose of the metal plate below the cylinder? Great looking pistol! Any other known history about it?

The owners great grandfather had gone to work on the Martin Ranch in Western Nebraska at the age of 11. His uncle or some other relative owned the ranch. That's all that I know about it.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-26-2015 at 05:26.