Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Trouble reloading .303

I've been starting to reload for several rifle calibers and I've had no trouble with Krag and 7.5mm Swiss. However, I ran into a problem when I went to reload for .303 British, yesterday.

I have Lee dies, including a crimping die. I used Sierra .308 spitzer bullets. I used once-fired PPS brass. Everything seemed to go fine until I looked at the completed cartridges. I could turn the bullets in the cartridges and when I chambered a few sample rounds in my SMLE, any "bump" pushed the bullet in to the brass - obviously, the bullet was too loose. So I pulled all the bullets.

Help me figure out what's wrong:

1) Not the right sized bullets? (maybe need .311?)

2) Some adjustment needed with the dies? (I noticed the bullets "sat" on top of the neck of the brass when I went through the "bullet installation" step, which I assumed was about right)

3) I went through the crimp step and, even though I could see a crimp in the completed cartridges, I could still twist the bullets in the brass.

4) other problems?

I realize that these are not optimum loads for accuracy, just trying to work on my technique.

Thanks in advance!

RtL
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

You got it with the first one with the bullets being under sized. Get some that are .311 or larger and you will be fine. And if you can be sure to just neck size the .303 brass as they will last a lot longer. Just keep them separated by which rifle you fire them in.

Sort of thought that might be the case. I'll get some .311 bullets and try them.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    You got it with the first one with the bullets being under sized. Get some that are .311 or larger and you will be fine. And if you can be sure to just neck size the .303 brass as they will last a lot longer. Just keep them separated by which rifle you fire them in.
    Yup . . . .

Your bullets are too small in diameter!

Also . . . .

You might benefit from loading the .303 and the 30-40 Krag using the "Ken Waters method".

I've been using his method for years now, and I believe my cases ARE lasting a bit longer.

It is a bit "labor-intensive" on the first loading, but after that, it's no more trouble than any other neck-sizing operation. --Jim

And the "Ken Waters method" is ...??
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    And the "Ken Waters method" is ...??
    Grab a coffee, Rick . . . this will take a while . . . . .

The British .303 chamber is notoriously oversize . . . .especially at the shoulder area!

Take a fired case and hold it next to an unfired case/round.

Notice how the shoulder has moved forward . . . sometimes as much as 1/32"! (Almost looks like a different caliber/cartridge huh?)

When this case was fired, the fire-pin drove the cartridge forward in the chamber 'til the rim stopped on the back of the chamber . . . leaving the shoulder area of the chamber "unoccupied" until ignition, and the consequent filling of this space with the brass case.

In addition, the case head slammed back, against the bolt-face and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d the sidewall at the web area of the case, because the case body sort-of "welded" itself to the chamber sidewall and the unsupported web area expanded (once again, due to the sloppy chamber dimensions).

This is why the .303 is notorious for head separations and "extra-short" case life in general!!

Ken figured out a way to hold the case "hard and fast" against the bolt face BEFORE ignition . . . thereby lowering the case failures a mite.

Yes, you still get stretching in the shoulder area and you still get web-expansion, but the stretching of the web area (fore and aft) is less. When less, the brass lasts longer!

Remember, the brass is a whole lot softer near the mouth/shoulder area than back at the web/head area!

In order to hold the case/cartridge back "hard" against the bolt-face, and overcome the fire-pin forces at work to push the case forward, BEFORE ignition, Ken expanded the neck area with a larger neck expander than is supplied with the normal .303 British die set.

I use the neck expander for the 8mm Mauser!

After expanding all the necks, of course the cases will NOT enter the .303 chamber, right?

Now I change out the die and install a .303 British "neck-sizing" die (Redding).

Come down the neck a mite until the case will just chamber with a slight resistance of the bolt handle. This is a "try-and-size-a-bit" procedure until the case will chamber.

Now you have a funny-looking case with TWO shoulders!

Load these up and shoot them.

There-after neck-size ONLY . . . .and these cases are "dedicated" to this rifle ONLY!

It's very important to remember that you MUST use VIRGIN cases . . . once-fired cases are NO USE!!

I've had to resort to pulling apart loaded cartridges, when NEW brass was unavailable . . . expand the necks as per Ken's method . . and re-seat the bullets! (Very labor intensive! . . . as is the whole procedure)

Hope you followed this, Rick!

By-the-way . . some Krag chambers are also sloppy, so I use this method on them as well!

Good shooting, --Jim

I think I need to get a damp washrag and go lie down in a dark room!! LOL!!
    --C.S. Lewis

Use NEW brass every time you reload? Sounds like the cost of reloading .303 is starting to climb up near just buying new ammo every time.

I'll have to read (and re-read) your post again, Jim - a lot of "meat" to digest!
    --C.S. Lewis

One does forget that the British army was not into reloading fired brass.

I have more than one Enfield and keep the brass seperate.
    Last edited by John Sukey; 06-24-2015 at 09:37.

No, this is PPU commercial brass - the British Army stuff (at least what I have) is Berdan.
    --C.S. Lewis