Default 1903a3 Please Help

Hello,
    I have the opportunity to buy this 03 from a guy off of CL.
    These are the only photos I have.
    I understand you will not be able to give me an accurate value assessment but I am looking for a price range.
    It is a Remington and the guy wants $500 for it.
    Can you guys give me a price range depending on condition and matching parts?
    Also is there anything in particular I should look for other than Muzzle wear and checking the bore?
    Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The rifle is easily worth $500 if it has a good bore and no significant damage (such as a cracked stock, etc.).

Hope this helps.

J.B.

I'll second that.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Yes.
    Thank you.
    That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Take a cleaning rod and some patches with you. If the bore appears in bad shape push a patch or two through it - sometimes what looks like pitting is just an accumulation of crud.

I would add if you see evidence it is a recovered drill rifle I personally would not buy it. The pictures look like a rifle worth $500 if the bore is okay and it is not a recovered drill rifle. I know the market varies but here in the rain forest of Western Washington it is not hard to find a non recovered drill 03A3 for $500, sometimes even less.

7. Default

Generally, in Drill Rifles, the Magazine Cut Off was welded so the bolt could not be removed...hence look for discoloring on the receiver around the magazine Cut Off...that would be evidence the rifle, at one time was a Drill Rifle.. On the underside of where the barrel screws into the receiver..the barrel was often welded on to the receiver...look for discoloring there. Of course, for the last check, the barrel and action must be removed from the stock.

I have even seen '03 Springfields Drill Rifles "De-militarized" by simply welding a rod in the bore at the muzzle. In other words, a live cartridge could be inserted in the rifle, with disastrous results.