Thread: Stocks again

Default Stocks again

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a new stock . I noticed a couple of issues with the stock on my 1903A3 other than the one repaired crack just in front of the wrist and behind the bolt. It has another repaired crack on the right side about 4 inches long that due to how it was epoxed was almost invisible. Also, I long noticed the stock re-reinforcement "bolts" look more like finishing nails on this stock. As a consequence I don't feel comfortable running live rounds over it..

As pointed out in other threads my rifle is a bit of a "bitser". Mostly Remington with a SC Trigger guard. I'm leaning towards the Menilli "C" type stock from Brownells; however, that's the pricier option. I also saw that Gun Parts Corp has some "Unissued" scant stocks for a bit less. Anyone know if they are authentic USGI replacement wood or a Boyds stock in a repro GI box? What would be the most appropriate stock for an A3 in the 356247X range? Straight? Scant? I know the C Type is more for A4s, but desired for shooting. I'd just like to get the opinions of the more expirienced.. Thanks..

Your Remington originally came with an "S" stock. But for your purposes of a shooter, a "C" or scant would be a better choice according to most people. The "C" looks better, but the scant has a slightly longer length of pull.

HTH,

Emri

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    Your Remington originally came with an "S" stock. But for your purposes of a shooter, a "C" or scant would be a better choice according to most people. The "C" looks better, but the scant has a slightly longer length of pull.

HTH,

Emri
    Thanks Emri!

Quote Originally Posted by John L. Lucci View Post
    Thanks Emri!
    You're welcome. The Minelli stocks are first class so I've heard. The Numrich scant stocks are GI, but have suffered from poor storage and have stains and maybe age cracks is my understanding.

Personally I don't mind extra expense on most things as long as there is an advantage. When traveling, I buy fuel at the place that is easiest to access and exit rather than the lowest priced place. The brand new Minelli won't require any "repairs" before fitting and use.

FWIW,

Emri

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    You're welcome. The Minelli stocks are first class so I've heard. The Numrich scant stocks are GI, but have suffered from poor storage and have stains and maybe age cracks is my understanding.

Personally I don't mind extra expense on most things as long as there is an advantage. When traveling, I buy fuel at the place that is easiest to access and exit rather than the lowest priced place. The brand new Minelli won't require any "repairs" before fitting and use.

FWIW,

Emri

I'm going with the Minelli have it on order and have stock re-enforcement pins in hand..

6. Default

Yep, I think you will be much happier with a Minelli stock. Years ago I had an '03 Springfield with a World War II replacement Scant Grip stock and I didn't like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Southron View Post
    Yep, I think you will be much happier with a Minelli stock. Years ago I had an '03 Springfield with a World War II replacement Scant Grip stock and I didn't like it at all.
    One determining factor was length of pull. If scants have a longer length of pull then I want a shorter one...