Thread: Legacy m1-22

Default Legacy m1-22

I purchased a black plastic stock model to use with the grand kids. It functions perfectly, but the sights are so far off to the left of point of impact that even with the rear sight all the way over in the dovetail, and the adjustment knob all the way over it is barely on paper. I believe the solution is moving the front sight over. It is held by a single setscrew into a blind hole in the barrel, so putting another hole to the right should cure it. Legacy seems to live up to it's rep for spotty quality. However I'd like to know if anyone put this rifle into a 'real' m1 carbine stock without problems??

Respects, and thanks for any answers.
    Contempt of congress, 350 million co-defendents

No .22 LR "Carbine" is even close in dimensions to a real one.
    Front sights get moved in the opposite direction you want the group to go. If you're shooting left you move the front right. I'd put a level on the barrel to ensure straightness first, then centre the rear in its dovetail, then look at the bedding. Most likely the latter. Steel isn't in the plastic stock right. You may want to contact Legacy and see about a new stock. Or just bed the one you have.
    Manual is here if you need one. https://legacysports.com/uploads/pdf...l%20US_LOW.pdf
    Spelling and grammar count!

Thanks for the advice, I moved the front sight to the right w/o drilling anything, and could get it to point of aim, but it was so far over it was visually crooked, at least 10 degrees. It's a new rifle, and I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow, per the manual and let him deal with Legacy/whoever to replace it. Barrel must either be bent or misbored, I'd guess.

respects

Hi. Yep, new stuff goes back. It's what warrantees are for. You may want to think about something a big higher end though. A 10/22 Sporter's MSRP is the same as the M1-22.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Gun Shop (Mack's, in Live Oak, Fl) called, got the ship number, and it's enroute already. I wanted the 'look' it had, and will be putting it into a milsurp stock. I tried it in an Inland stock. Drop in.

Respects,

FWIW - Got it back today, over a month later, but same barrel, same serial, but this time it is within adjustment and shot into 1.5x2 inch group at 25 yards. No target rifle but fine for a plinker. I then tried it in a milsurp stock off Ebay. I found that you need to loosen the recoil plate to relieve tension on the receiver to make it function correctlyand return the accuracy, unlike the 'real deal' that puts a little tension on the front barrel band. Also for interest compared to my Inland the barrel is about 1/2 inch shorter than the Inland, so a bayo can't be made to work. It doesn't like Thunderbolts, but Remington yellow jackets did well. Note this is a top eject, blowback action, and safety glasses are a requirement since it 'spits' occasionally.

m1 carbine compared 7m15.jpg

m1 22 carbine 1.jpg

Blog Entries

+1 on the eyes. A gunsmith friend posted this yesterday.

22's and kids (this includes us grown kids too).
    Too often people will have their kids shooting 22's without eye and ear protection. This is a really bad idea.
    While no firearm should be used without eye and ear protection, the 22 semiauto's are the ones I feel that the protection is most needed with.
    Most 22 semis are unlocked, blowback designs, and I've dealt with( either the aftermath or experienced while testing) more out of batteries with these than with any other design. The results of an out of battery can be painful even with eye protection, but without it blindness could occur.
    So please, protect your kids( and anyone else firing or in the area) with eye protection.
    Ear protection is needed with the 22's as well. While we often don't realize it, the report of even subsonic rounds can damage your hearing. It's bad enough for us adults, but who in their right mind would risk the hearing of their child?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur