Default Strange 1911 style mainspring housing

Greetings:

Ordered a serrated mainspring housing for a 1911a1 from E-gunparts aka Numrich, and got a strange one.

It fits into a standard ww2 Remington 1911a1. But it doesn't have the retention pin hole for the mainspring, mainspring cap and mainspring pin retainer. And it has a slot milled into the flat side that faces the sear spring.

Any ideas as to what it is? I was thinking either a Systema Colt or maybe the Ballister-Molina's. Can't seem to find any illustrations on the web as to either of those pistols main spring housings

Will attempt to put up pix later on Tinypic.com as battery in digital camera is flat.

R. Brown

Greetings:

Here's my first attempt to insert photo's into a comment:

Attachment 31335Attachment 31336

These are pictures of the strange mainspring housing I got from Numrich parts: If you can see where the retaining pin hole is missing and where the part has been milled out. Any suggestions as to what it was meant for? I don't really use my digitial camera that much, so I apologize for the poor photos.

R. Brown

Richard, Pics don't work. I have both sistema and molina to compare. Dave

4. Default

A Sistema Colt's mainspring housing is more or less identical to a standard 1911 part....The Ballester Molina does not have a removable mainspring housing....

OK Pix insert didn't work for this strange 1911? mainspring housing:

Try this for pix:

http://tinypic.com/r/25ph5rd/8 and http://tinypic.com/r/2ike3k6/8

The odd/strange housing in on the left compared to a 1944 Remington 1911a1 mainspring housing.

RHB

Re: Bollister-Molina (sp)

Yeah, no mainspring housing part on one, managed to find some youtube.com clips on detail stripping of the B-M and Systema Colt, and neither seems to have this mainspring housing.

Posted to other places, and to some people who have attended an advanced 1911 gunsmithing seminar. Plus I called Numrich and semailed them pix to their tech dept. *Supposedly* they'll get back to me.

RHB

Blog Entries

Richard's pics.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Heard back from a guy I know on a irc channel, he talked to some 1911 guru's and basically it had them stumped too. Except that one mentioned that it *could* be a Dutch made part for 1911's that was designed to fit and hold the mainspring parts in place by pushing the bits down by the hammer strut, and the milled hole is for greasing the mainspring. According to the email, the Dutch were famous for doing weird stuff to 1911's.

RHB