Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Default

they are waiting for the smart ammo to be developed
    liberum aeternum

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by John HOLBROOK View Post
    If you are having problems hitting your target at 1000 yds with a 7.62, you won't improve with a 338. I owned a Barrett, clip fed, one of the early ones (they were fairly cheap then). Sure, that puppy would hit at incredible distances (you checked your target with a 5 minute drive down range), but to be accurate took a LOT of concentration. It pushed more than kicked, but don't think that push wasn't violent. The Marines have what they want, and they obviously like the 7.62. I still hate having to give up my M14 for the M16. I was deadly with the 14.

jt

Here is a photo of me in 'Nam in 1967 along the Go Cong River with my M16 A1. It was totally unreliable and shortly thereafter I threw it in the river. The Marines gave me an M14.. The best thing about the M14 was it fired every time I pulled the trigger-

The good old days..... Right?

If I remember correctly, aren't you Distinguished? You ain't very pretty, like me.

Semper Fi,

jt

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    My son traded in his beloved 300 Savage for a 300 WSM. His excellent record for bringing home the venison went to hell in a hand basket. Invited him over for a session on my range. I handed him his rifle, no cartridge in chamber, and told him to hit a quarter at 100 years (something he regularly did with his 300 Savage). When he pulled that trigger, I witnessed one of the worst trigger jerks ever. He jerked so hard he pulled the rifle back into his shoulder. He looked so surprised I had to laugh. That 300 WSM was beating him to death. He returned to the 300 Savage, and his kill count went back to normal. I had a 300 Rem Mag that I absolutely hated. It kicked like a freaking whipped mule. It was all I could do to fire a five shot group. This from a guy who likes to shoot a 416 Rigby for expensive grins.

Sure the Corps can get bigger bangers. They can use any banger they want. They want the M40 platform, and there are good reasons they feel that way. Let those who crawl through the deep grass to engage their enemies make the decision. They know best.

jt

PS
    The 30-06 was used by the Corps in WWI with great success. One Marine sniper received the DSC for killing six Germans at 1440 yards with his A5 scoped 1903.
    a friend here had several 1 shot kills on eastern Canadian moose using a .308Win that he was extremely accurate with... one guy in his hunting party got to riding him so hard about using a "little gun" that Kevin went out and bought a Rem 700 in .338mag...he couldn't hit anything with it... had it re-crowned & glass bedded by a dam good smith.. still couldn't hit with it... one of our friends went out with him to figure out what was wrong & did the empty chamber test with him too.... same result as your son...he had a terrible flinch too..........He finally mastered the rifle... but it took a lot of time & loads to get rid of his flinch.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Reading the article........it sounds like the sniper teams are not being deployed correctly.

If you fire more than one shot from your hide, you can be ranged and fired upon. Sounds more like they are being used for interdiction fire or as marksmen rather than snipers. Using snipers incorrectly is a recipe for getting good men killed.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

5. Default

Yes, a Barrett would be nice, but I can't imagine humping that up and down hills/mtns. Even a good 338 Lapua is gonna add 6 pounds of weight. Going to a 338 RUM or Edge would keep the weight down, but recoil would increase. A brake would help, but noise/blast would increase. I'm sure a brake exists to limit blast and giving your position away. Of course if the USMC put a can on all their 338's - problem solved!!
    Last edited by cowboybart; 02-18-2016 at 07:04.

Shooter5 Guest

The M27 in 5.56 mentioned above doesn't like like enough firepower for distances required of a Marine sniper. I'm I missing something?
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.