Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    One of the bleats I hear from the 5.56MM/M4 fans over the 7.62MM for regular issue is always "we don't need long range .30 caliber Battle Rifles any more, we have Air Support and Artillery at the end of our radios". (I don't necessarily support this, but it is the excuse for the mouse gun as standard issue.) Why would this not be the case for the Marines, Snipers as well as regular troops?
    My point is, yes, you could go to a .338, but why not just have .308's for "regular work" and the Barrett .50 cal to deal with any exceptions? Remember the opening scene in "Shooter"? The .50 BMG has a LOT more payload options.
    How did they set up the war game to "prove" the 7.62MM is so dangerously inferior? Do we have written reports of our troops put in actual danger from not having .338's?? If you need a .338, why not the .50?? Or just have them drag a 37MM wheeled gun around?? CC

Almost took one of these home when we closed our Barracks in Ca. Thought about it, then common sense prevailed. The 37 got turned over to a Reserve Arty unit in L.A.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    Or just have them drag a 37MM wheeled gun around?? CC
    Laugh if you want to , but in the booklet " The M1 does my talking " , there is a photo of an M1 with a 37MM cannon mounted underneath . I always noted that I've seen M1s , M1Cs , and M1Ds , but never a M1B. Could this be it ?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by emmagee1917 View Post
    Laugh if you want to , but in the booklet " The M1 does my talking " , there is a photo of an M1 with a 37MM cannon mounted underneath . I always noted that I've seen M1s , M1Cs , and M1Ds , but never a M1B. Could this be it ?
    Chris
    More likely an improvised Anti-tank sub caliber training device. My dad commanded a company of 57mm Antitank (british 6 pdrs.) guns in the ETO. He had his mechanics fabricate brackets to mount M1's on the 57's for practice. Literally shot out the barrels on the M1's.
    Last edited by jgaynor; 07-02-2015 at 08:18.

Come on , let's not let logic and facts get in the way of a good story .
    Chris

We used to always joke when I was in the Marines that we were never known for having the best gear. But we were known what we could do with it.

6. Default

If you are having problems hitting your target at 1000 yds with a 7.62, you won't improve with a 338. I owned a Barrett, clip fed, one of the early ones (they were fairly cheap then). Sure, that puppy would hit at incredible distances (you checked your target with a 5 minute drive down range), but to be accurate took a LOT of concentration. It pushed more than kicked, but don't think that push wasn't violent. The Marines have what they want, and they obviously like the 7.62. I still hate having to give up my M14 for the M16. I was deadly with the 14.

jt

7. Default

been there with the 308, in my experience the M40 in its 1968-69 form was a great sniper rifle and with the improvements even better, fine caliber and worked great for many years, and even now at shorter ranges, but there are better options in a package that isn't much heavier. A 700 Rem in 300 win mag has longer legs than a 308, so does a 338 Lapula and 338 ultra. My point is that you don't know whether you will need to shoot a bad guy at 600 yds or 1500, why not carry a rifle that can do it at either distance. As to cost , when they are spending 100 mil for a fighter a few new rifles isn't going to break the bank and if they do 300 win mag they can get in on the army ammo contract for ammo that will work in temp from cold to hot. If I was outfitting my son for the sand-box I would want him to have a min. 300 win mag and know how to use it..

just an old Marine grunt

8. Default

My son traded in his beloved 300 Savage for a 300 WSM. His excellent record for bringing home the venison went to hell in a hand basket. Invited him over for a session on my range. I handed him his rifle, no cartridge in chamber, and told him to hit a quarter at 100 years (something he regularly did with his 300 Savage). When he pulled that trigger, I witnessed one of the worst trigger jerks ever. He jerked so hard he pulled the rifle back into his shoulder. He looked so surprised I had to laugh. That 300 WSM was beating him to death. He returned to the 300 Savage, and his kill count went back to normal. I had a 300 Rem Mag that I absolutely hated. It kicked like a freaking whipped mule. It was all I could do to fire a five shot group. This from a guy who likes to shoot a 416 Rigby for expensive grins.

Sure the Corps can get bigger bangers. They can use any banger they want. They want the M40 platform, and there are good reasons they feel that way. Let those who crawl through the deep grass to engage their enemies make the decision. They know best.

jt

PS
    The 30-06 was used by the Corps in WWI with great success. One Marine sniper received the DSC for killing six Germans at 1440 yards with his A5 scoped 1903.

Default Methinks we have bigger problems.. New Obama DOD budget.....

"Give Me A Fast Ship And I Will Sail In Harms Way" John Paul Jones, U.S. NAVY

If you are having problems hitting your target at 1000 yds with a 7.62, you won't improve with a 338. I owned a Barrett, clip fed, one of the early ones (they were fairly cheap then). Sure, that puppy would hit at incredible distances (you checked your target with a 5 minute drive down range), but to be accurate took a LOT of concentration. It pushed more than kicked, but don't think that push wasn't violent. The Marines have what they want, and they obviously like the 7.62. I still hate having to give up my M14 for the M16. I was deadly with the 14.

jt

Here is a photo of me in 'Nam in 1967 along the Go Cong River with my M16 A1. It was totally unreliable and shortly thereafter I threw it in the river. The Marines gave me an M14.. The best thing about the M14 was it fired every time I pulled the trigger-

The good old days..... Right?

Last edited by John HOLBROOK; 07-17-2015 at 03:51.
    "Give Me A Fast Ship And I Will Sail In Harms Way" John Paul Jones, U.S. NAVY