Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Krag bolt

1. Default Krag bolt

I have 2 Krags - an 1896 carbine that I've fired, and a recently acquired 1898 rifle that I have not fired yet.
    I've inspected the bolt lugs on each through a magnifier and cannot see any problems, but, after reading and researching quite a bit, the best advice is to have the bolt inspected by a gunsmith or machinist to check for hairline cracks.
    On Gunbroker and ebay, there's a seller selling new old stock bolts, never used, for around $60 shipped. So, does it make any sense just to buy a new bolt instead of paying for the original bolt(s) to be checked? If they are cracked, I'd have to buy a new bolt anyways.
    And, would a new, unused bolt just drop in without fitting?
    I shoot mild reloads using Red Dot.
    Thanks.

Always the headspace issue with a different bolt. I would not worry about it. Gunsmith??? Most are just not experts and doubt they would do anything but look at it like you did. Just cause he calls himself a gunsmith means little, most are just hacks who can run a lathe and milling machine!

3. Default

I was thinking the same thing about gunsmiths in my area (if I could find one). I'll keep the loads low and keep checking the lugs.

Not to say that you should not be aware of what is going on, but, rimmed cartridges are usually nowhere near as sensitive to headspace issues as are rimless ones, simply because there is so much less room for error.

By segregating your fired cases by which gun they were fired in, and/or very slightly tweaking your sizing die set-up, you should be able to produce rounds that are properly supported in the chamber, and still fit nice and snug. If you are fortunate, you may even find a setting that works well for both of your Krags.

The archives here have at least two postings of an attempt to blow up a Krag. They finally succeeded, using a horrendous load, but the zinger is that the locking lug had been removed prior to the test, so "headspace" was never an issue - the safety lug performed as intended, and then some.

What Dick said...

The Krag has three lugs. Two are safety lugs - the guide rib and the bolt handle.

Also - the best way to check for a cracked lug is: 1) completely disassemble the bolt; 2) dip the bolt head/lug into gasoline; 3) wipe dry; 4) check to see if any gasoline "weeps" out of a hairline crack after you've dried the bolthead. If not, you are good to go. 5) Re-assemble the bolt, oil and shoot.

6. Default

Thanks for the info. I'll test it with gasoline but it looks pretty good.

I would have to disagree with Dick on headspace. A rimmed cartridge headspaces on the rim, not the chamber shoulder as rimless cart. do. If that space between bolt face and barrel face is too great you have excessive headspace and the cart. can slam back against the bolt and also cause the area in front of rim to be unsupported and have a head separation, at least a bulge. Not likely a different bolt would be that far off, but these rifle were made back when specs were not held as close as today. The case forward will just fire form to the chamber, which is not dangerous unless way, way out of specs.
    Another thing not mentioned is that the two rifles use different bolts, not important safety wise but you may want to keep them correct. Again, since you use light loads or even service loads---I would not worry.
    Last edited by dave; 06-08-2015 at 12:43.

Incase you're interested, here is the link to the experiment Dick was referring to... where the Krag was destroyed. Pretty interesting reading. http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...=251923&page=2

I wouldn't sweat the cracked bolt lug. Take a good look with a magnifying glass and you should be able to see any cracks that are evident. The gasoline trick would be a good idea as well. Stick to well established loads below max, good brass, and proper reloading techniques, and you should never have a problem.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

9. Default

That was an interesting experiment. My little Red Dot loads seem kinda puny and ...safe. Thanks for that link.
    I picked up this latest 1898 Krag rifle at an antique shop for $150. The firing pin and rod were missing. I put the firing pin rod and striker from my 1896 in the bolt and it worked fine. The rifling is good, no cracks in the frame or anywhere. A dummy 30-40 round chambers and ejects perfectly. The wood is good. I might have gotten lucky.

Last edited by Battis; 06-09-2015 at 04:43.

10. Default

Buy a No Go gauge and use it with the stripped bolt. No need to buy a Go gauge since this can be checked with the bullet case itself. Only seen one Krag bolt with the lug sheared off, but always stick to good published data on reloading.