Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Are you serious with that Fred? That red paint doubles if not triples the value of this rifle.

Rick if you need help with that Red star I have a hacksaw and we could do a sporter on that stock real quick. There is also a good bumper chrome shop over here where we make it into a "Officer's special." If you didn't want to spend the money at the chrome shop, I have a can of spray chrome somewhere.

And just out of the goodness of my heart, I also have a nice Tasco Scope I will give you to make it a sniper.

On a serious note that is a beautiful rifle, and the same with your's Fred. Sometimes I see your guy's rifles and it makes me want to collect more 1903's.

I'm trying to be good and slow down, but seeing these pics is not exactly helping.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 06-10-2015 at 09:47.

Yea, I would've definitely documented then cleaned the packing grease, oil and straw off of the rifle. Red Paint... No, I'd have left it alone. The stock and hand guard appear to have been together when the Brits applied the paint. That's pretty important to document. However, yes, I'd be tempted to clean it if I were a person who was not thinking clearly or didn't care about history. As it is, being a person of profound reflection and thought, I realize that the Lend Lease of armament to the British to prepare them for a German invasion is Definitely an important part of our history as well as British history. Way cool! Does the rifle have any British stamps on it Rick?

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    Are you serious with that Fred? That red paint doubles if not triples the value of this rifle.
    No, I'm not serious. Really, double or triples the value? That's pretty interesting. Well, I'd best be on the lookout for one then! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Rick if you need help with that Red star I have a hacksaw and we could do a sporter on that stock real quick. There is also a good bumper chrome shop over here where we make it into a "Officer's special." If you didn't want to spend the money at the chrome shop, I have a can of spray chrome somewhere.

And just out of the goodness of my heart, I also have a nice Tasco Scope I will give you to make it a sniper.

On a serious note that is a beautiful rifle, and the same with your's Fred. Sometimes I see your guy's rifles and it makes me want to collect more 1903's.

I'm trying to be good and slow down, but seeing these pics is not exactly helping.
    Steve, it's my impression that you have a lot of 03's that are all top notch collectables. First rate stuff. Surely you haven't been contemplating stopping your collecting of them, have you? Heck you're still a young man too. Just keep going like you have been. And Please keep sharing with us!!!

The rifle I posted was one of the "Red Star" rifles I examined about seven years ago, although the guy still has it. One of the reasons that these rifles are so attractive is that they DON'T have the British proof stamps found on those that were imported in the 1960s. The one I photographed I WISH was in my collection - it was one of the "pick of the litter".

My friend still has at least four of these rifles he wants to sell, if you're interested, Fred. PM/email me if you're interested.

Picture 526 LR.jpgPicture 530 LR.jpgPicture 162 LR.jpg
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 06-10-2015 at 09:59.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I don't know if you're "tongue in cheek" with that last comment, Fred, but the "red paint" is very much a part of the rifle's history. These Red Star rifles came in grease and hay and there is a lot of disagreement as to whether to remove that. I did, but documented what my Red Star rifle looked like "before".
    Rick, no, I'm not serious. However, that term Red Star does gives me an uneasy feeling. No kidding. I know it's the name of the gun store where many of the rifles were received after being imported here from Great Briton, but it's just the ingrained perception I have of that term after being in the Army for many years during The Cold War against communism.
    Incidentally, my old unit, the 1/73 Armor, wore a Red Star on our Russian Beret's whenever we were in Oposing Forces mode out at the U.S. National Training Center for Desert Warfare. Red Star... It gives me the Willie's!
    Last edited by Fred; 06-10-2015 at 10:08.

Nice rifles, Fred and good photography as well. They certainly are high quality units. I like the pre WW1 mausers as well for fit and finish. I read somewhere that to produce a rifle of similar quality today the cost per rifle would be in excess of $2500.

"We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by mike webb View Post
    Nice rifles, Fred and good photography as well. They certainly are high quality units. I like the pre WW1 mausers as well for fit and finish. I read somewhere that to produce a rifle of similar quality today the cost per rifle would be in excess of $2500.
    Thanks Mike.
    Wow, $2,500.00 and up...
    Yea,, I can see that happening. I'd LOVE to be a Billionaire and be able to obtain the old Rock Island Arsenal/Remington tooling for making the early 1903's. Not only would I produce some for myself and my friends, I'd run some copies of the Petersen Device and of the carrier and magazines to give out (why would I want to charge for them if I were a Billionaire?) to the guys too.