Default Question for Tuna

Sir;
    I have a (more than once) rebuilt Underwood carbine that wears an M2 stock w/large .U. on left of butt. All other parts other than the slide are Underwood marked. While searching for a "correct" slide, I found a slide marked .O.U. or .O..U. (kinda hard to read). Have you run across this marking on UEF carbines?
    Forgot to mention that it has a IO 4 rivet handguard which I have been told is probably correct for an Underwood rebuild?
    Thanks in advance!

Ed

O.U. on an Underwood slide would be correct. Made by Oneida Ltd. for Underwood. Found on type 2, 3 and 4 slides. Underwood never used the pot belly type 6 stock as they had stopped making carbines way before the stock came out. Only Inland used it. All others found are from post war rebuilding. Yours with a U on the left side of the stock means the stock was at Underwood during a rebuild in the 1948 time frame along with the IO Inland hand guard. That may be when it was placed on your carbine or it could have been done by a previous owner who may have thought it was an Underwood stock.
    Last edited by Tuna; 06-04-2015 at 05:30.

Sir;
    Thank you for the info! Glad that the slide is correct. Had always assumed that the stock was a replacement installed at Underwood during their post war rebuild contract.
    Thanks again!

Ed