Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
    Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Default this really broke my bubble with the M14 even MORE!

https://www.full30.com/video/6618755...gn=subscribers

Of course, I never had someone blowing sand into my action and face.

It seemed like a fair test to me, what a let down.
    liberum aeternum

Took Basic Training at Ft Ord in 1967. Part of the training was night firing. Targets were 25 yards away. We were told that there would be a tendency to undershoot. They were right. Wind was coming from 12 o'clock. All the way thru the firing exercise we had sand blowing back in our faces. Don't recall anyone having a misfeed or failure to eject from our M14's.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I would like to see that test done with one of the other M14 reproduction rifles that has been properly maintained using a chrome NATO chamber rather than a SAI with a .308 chamber. There is a reason for the extra clearances and chrome lining in a USGI barrel. That 1 rnd and lockup sure reminds me of our first adventures with the M16 in '67/'68. And that was not caused by sand and rocks being blown into the weapon.
    Last edited by nf1e; 06-03-2015 at 12:22.

5. Default

Wow, Karl got fat!!!

Dirty enough I'd expect they'd not work. AR was impressive. That ain't fine beach sand, cruddy pebbly Americn Western desert stuff.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 06-03-2015 at 04:10.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    That ain't fine beach sand, cruddy pebbly Americn Western desert stuff.

Somewhere in Arizona. My guess is between Red Rock and Phoenix.

I saw two guys, maybe these two, doing a water and mud test, basically crawling through a muddy creek bottom. After 3 rounds the very wet, very muddy M1A failed to eject, immediate action was taken and on the next round fired but it not only failed to extract and eject but locked up. Been there done that back in the army, no joy for sure. The AR 15 they used ran like a champ. I remember one of the guys saying that he bet those AR guys were laughing their (hind ends) off. I admit I was very surprised at how poorly the M1A did in the sand, totally unexpected result for me too; gawd beaten by the Frog gun .
    Last edited by Art; 06-03-2015 at 06:50.

ouchie, ouchie, ouchie
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

I don't know if it made a difference but that rail over the bolt of the M1A could have been directing sand down and directly into the action.