Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default marking on early Rock Island stock

Interesting marks on the butt of this early Rock Island stock. I would bet USN as I doubt
    the army would allow carving into the wood. Either way, it was done long ago.

RobertAttachment 31141Attachment 31142Attachment 31143Attachment 31144

I don't see carving. Just stamps.

3. Default

A 1903 stock I bought from Sarco has similar numbers and letters stamped like that into the right side of the buttstock.

'm not an expert on these but I do know that the armed forces did stamp the butt stocks. Most are unit and rack numbers. I'm sure one of the members who know will reply with the answer to this one as they usually do

The markings are rack numbers. They were used by all services.

Is the stock correct for the rifle?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I have seen many sets like this on stocks. I also think they are probably Navy. Maybe even ship detachments markings.

Or they could be Marine I guess as well. I don't know why but my gut is saying ship detachment markings.

This 1903 is a SRS hit to the Marine Corps in 1938. But it has a CD 3 in the same fashion as your stock. There is also another set of stamps that were sanded off and the CD 3 put over them. The stamp sanded off looks like a TU 5. This rifle was purchased as surplus at the Philly Navy Yard post WWII. It has almost every feature of a Marine 1903. Hatcher hole, punch mark in front of serial, early Marine parkerization, Vice marks, 9-42 Sedgley USMC barrel, stippled buttplate, electropenciled bolt, enlarged gas hole in bolt. And then the SRS hit:

873388 012638USMC - SAN DIEGO (SURVEY)

The stock is an early one bolt highwood stock with a JFC cartcouhe. The only cartouhces other than factory are the CD 3 and the TU 5 or whatever it was sanded off.

Last edited by cplnorton; 06-02-2015 at 06:29.

One more thing to add. I had some ideas what the CD 3 might mean on my rifle.

CD 3 =Cruiser Division 3 is the most likely I think that I've heard so far. The other one might be Coastal Defense 3rd Battalion. That is my two theories so far.

But it would be hard to say for sure.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 06-02-2015 at 06:41.

That is one nice Marine Corps rifle Steve! Nice! Now you should put a USMC sling on it. I've just bought another really great conditioned one of those yesterday. As usual, the seller didn't know what it was. Now I have Five of them and STILL no rifle to put any of them on. Something's wrong about that...
    Last edited by Fred; 06-02-2015 at 09:24.

Blog Entries

I dought that will be a problem for you very long.
    You seem to luck-out on finding anything you set your mind on to look for...

RCS's RIA and the "AT 21" inscription.
    I have studied stock markings for a long time and am quite sure
    that "AT 21' = USS Bagaluce,which was an Ocean going US Navy Tug.
    Prior to the reclassification of ships by the Navy,starting in WW2,all Navy ships has a two letter prefix.
    They were changed to 3 letter prefix,thus making these stocks unserviceable.
    In some cases the USCG also marked their 1903 rifles,case in point,CG 180.
    Which was a 75 foot wooden Revenue patrol boat(1924 thru 1933)
    1903 rifles on transports were also marked in this manner.
    One unusual note,"AG 49"marked 1903, the USS Anacapa was a US Navy "Q" ship
    used off the west coast from Mexico to Alaska against Japanese subs early in the war.
    Respectfully submitted
    Ed Byrns