1. Default SRS check on 10,691 Please

My friend has this rifle which was his fathers and would like to know if someone could check it out. The serial number is 10,691 with a 1894 dated receiver.
    Thanks in advance.
    ripper90

Sorry, nothing between 10690 (ouch!) and 10723.

Are there any regimental markings on the gun?

I ONLY ask that - and break my own long-standing rule by so doing - because 10690 was one of the rifles carried by the 25th Infantry on their epic cross-country bicycle ride. THe fact that yours is not so listed almost certainly means that it did not see the same usage.

3. Default

Dick, thank you for the information. I will ask my friend if there are any other marking on the rifle.
    John
    ripper90

Pictures I've seen from that ride show the rifles strapped or tied to the bicycle frame top tube. I bet they got beat up pretty good, carried that way.

I suppose they sent them in to the arsenal afterwards.

jn

5. Default

My friend let me bring his rifle home to look it over. I can't find any other marks except for a JLA cartouche with a 1898 date a 37 right behind the trigger guard and a P behind that. The sight is a model 1896 second model with the large knob on the elevation slide. This rifle is in excellent condition including the bore. Would this be a 1896 rifle that was arsenal restocked? What is the inspectors name in this cartouche?
    ripper90

'ripper90': Initials in 'cartouche box' are actually "J.S.A.", for James Sumner Adams.

7. Default

Thank you for that information,butlerstrangers.
    Ripper90

Don't feel bad, I believe Brophy in his Krag book identified some of those markings as "JLA"!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis