Thread: AR-15 failure

Default AR-15 failure

I was at the range shooting a Garand when an older gentleman started shooting his Rock River AR-15. He fired for a while then ran into a problem. The rifle would chamber a round but it would not fire. I looked at a couple of the rounds and could see a light firing pin mark on the primer but no more of a mark then should be expected when a round is chambered. I opened the rifle up and pulled the bolt/bolt carriage out and found that the buffer retainer and its spring had come loose and had been “run over” by the bolt. I don’t even know what is supposed to hold the retainer in place so I was wondering how one would come out like that. Any thoughts?
    "In God We Trust"

2. Default

Lip of buffer tube. Not properly installed.

3. Default

Yup! Buffer tube probably one turn short of being fully screwed in. Other option would be an improperly machined "reciever extension" (AKA buffer tube) lip or too large a hole in the reciever for the retainer and spring - both unlikely. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Thanks for the info guys. Nice to have some "pros" around to answer questions.
    "In God We Trust"

Check to see if there is too much lube in the bolt/carrier group. Had one shooter at my range that had a hydraulic problem with the firing pin. After removing so of the oil. It functioned just fine.

Friend of mine had AR15 problem where it wouldn't fire. His cousin had same problem on his. I took it apart and the bolt carrier and bolt needed cleaning real bad. had him clean it while I watched and made sure he knew how to do it in the future. Also gas rings completly worn out which I replaced for him.