1. Default Sgt. Alvin York Websie

I posted this elsewhere on this forum, but I am posting this again here to let everyone know about this Sergeant Alvin York website. It makes an interesting read.

Geeze....they have used a metal detector at the site in the Argonne Forest where Sergeant York earned his Medal of Honor and even recovered the spent rifle and pistol cartridge cases that York probably fired!!!

As I commented "The Great Debate" of whether York used an '03 Springfield or a U.S. Model of 1917 in that fight that earned him the Medal of Honor could be decided be sending one of those recovered, fired .30 caliber rounds to a CSI Lab and let them determine in which model of rifle it was fired

Enjoy, here is the link:

http://www.sgtyorkdiscovery.com/

Unfortunately that is the incorrect sight. There was another team led by a PhD candidate that I'm convinced found the correct location. They also found shell casings and other paraphernalia that matches with photos taken in 1918-1919. Read this guy's dissertation.

http://www.sergeantyorkproject.com/
    Last edited by kragluver; 06-01-2015 at 06:11.

Not having a U.S. Model 1917 Enfield at hand to study for several decades, I'm wondering if an Ejector indentation on a cartridge extracted from a U.S. Model 917 Enfield would be different from an Ejector indentation from a 1903 Springfield...?

4. Default

Great U Tube video

Kragluver is right. The archeology group at Middle Tennessee State University found the real site. While there were multiple archeological factors that they used, the primary was the battlefield burial site records for his squad mates. The unfortunate aspect of this is that the "other" group published first and got the French on their side. They even incorrectly presented the Center for Military History with .45 casings that are NOT from York's famous pistol episode. Go to www.sergeantyorkproject.com and download their report.