Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Dr. Hudson - Modern Rifle Shooting

Here is the sight protector illustrated in Dr. Hudson's book, "Modern Rifle Shooting from the American Standpoint".

mrs5.JPG
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-01-2015 at 10:50.

Paul's next brass project? Just kidding, looks to be more trouble than it would be worth, except for stopping pesky little mud daubers. I don't use sight covers on my Garand either.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I never used the site cover either, Just a different one.

Interesting piece... but I bet it would be a pain in the A@# to reproduce without some specific tooling and machines. Would it be worth making one for Bob? I would have to say no since there are real Krag muzzle covers out there and available.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    Here is the sight protector illustrated in Dr. Hudson's book, "Modern Rifle Shooting from the American Standpoint".

mrs5.JPG
    Not quite the same as posters.

It's very well done and I don't think little tommy made it in shop class. [no shop class in 1900]. Maybe another will turn up in 25 years.

"Modern Rifle Shooting From The American Perspective" by Dr. Walter Guy Hudson (1903), page 40:

Hudson.jpgmrs5.JPG
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-02-2015 at 10:42.

I imagine clever and handy shooters and gun implement companies were improvising Krag front sight protectors in the early 1900s. I am sure the U.S. armory 'issue' muzzle/sight cover did not protect, very well, the coatings of soot or 'blacking' that competitors put on their sight blades, during a match. '1563621' has a very interesting example of such a 'non-issue' device.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-02-2015 at 03:12.