Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Iver Johnson... Yay or nay?

Hello, gents. I'm new to this side of the forum, And was hoping someone could give me the low-down on the iver Johnson m1's, what to watch for and a general history if possible. Thanks!
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

2. Default

I'm not the expert on commercial M1 carbines but as far as I know the IJ carbines in good condition are generally serviceable and safe. The more knowledgeable will probably jump in here and correct me if I am wrong. You may find the following website helpful:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_ij.html

Hi
    I personally have never fired one, I have just shot military types, but folks I have talked to are not super impressed with the fit, finish or overall operation of the Iver Johnson

My humble opinion, by a true military, mil-spec, M1 Carbine, I think in the long run you will be much happier

My 2 cents worth
    " When you are out of Sixes, you are out of Interceptors"

Hey, this is the info I'm after. I'd prefer a surplus one, but I'm on a budget and they are the only ones available locally.

5. Default

In the 70s I bought a Plainfield Machine Company M1 carbine from the old Western Auto. I did not know much about carbines but it filled the bill for that time. It worked and shot just fine. The only issue I ever had with it was the barrel band spring broke which was easily replaced.

Iver Johnson took over Plainfield Machine Company.

A few years back a friend bought cheap, a well used Iver Johnson M1 carbine for a truck gun. We parkerized it in the backyard, put new springs in it, and it works and shoots just fine.

I would think you could find a Plainfield or Iver Johnson relatively cheap and fill the bill until you can find a USGI gun. Replace the old springs with USGI springs, and use USGI 15 rd magazines or the new Korean made 15 rounders, then let us know how it works.
    Last edited by bonnie; 05-28-2015 at 02:05.

Thanks Bonnie. Real good info to have. It's going to have to fit the bill until a good Usgi one shows up.

I believe the later Universal M1 Carbines where they got creative with the design and parts used to assemble the carbine created the impression that anything other than GI was junk. Most of the early commercial carbines manufactured with GI surplus parts and commercial receivers functioned well as do most of the later carbines using parts similar to US GI parts.

Boat anchor or paper weight.
    Jon

It all depends on when it was made. Early IJ carbines are not bad at all...BUT the later ones can be considered to be junk and some may be dangerous as the quality at the end of production was terrible right along with the last of the Universal carbines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    It all depends on when it was made. Early IJ carbines are not bad at all...BUT the later ones can be considered to be junk and some may be dangerous as the quality at the end of production was terrible right along with the last of the Universal carbines.
    How can you tell the age or year?