Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crudely finished buttplate

Here is a photo of an '03 buttplate I picked up somewhere. It matches nothing on vishooter's page. It is somewhat like the later model of Springfield buttplate on that page, but it tapers off smooth around the "heel" and the checkering does not seem to be of high, uniformbuttplateJPG.jpgquality. Just wondering what it was used on. Spares?

You have a smooth buttplate that was checkered during overhaul.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    You have a smooth buttplate that was checkered during overhaul.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
    Thanks John. i did not know they did that. Did they have a special machine of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by 11mm View Post
    Thanks John. i did not know they did that. Did they have a special machine of some sort?
    No. Just the same buttplate checkering machine.

J.B.

Interesting! Never seen one of those before. Was the "rework" common?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

When manufactured as a checkered buttplate from the start, the checkering was added prior to case hardening. Presuming the smooth buttplates were also hardened, I'd bet the checkering was rough on tooling. The picture would support that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Humphrey View Post
    When manufactured as a checkered buttplate from the start, the checkering was added prior to case hardening. Presuming the smooth buttplates were also hardened, I'd bet the checkering was rough on tooling. The picture would support that thought.
    Good point. It's rough all right. I imagine this would be appropriate for a WW2 era refurbed 03, right? I have such a rifle with a 12/41 SA barrel. I might put it on that one. Or was this done after WW2?
    Last edited by 11mm; 05-27-2015 at 08:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Interesting! Never seen one of those before. Was the "rework" common?
    Buttplate rework was not real common, but I have seen several. I speculate that it was done during overhaul prior to WWI.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Humphrey View Post
    SA could simply anneal the buttplate to soften it, checker it, then re-harden it. I'm not saying they did that, but it's very likely.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by 11mm View Post
    Good point. It's rough all right. I imagine this would be appropriate for a WW2 era refurbed 03, right? I have such a rifle with a 12/41 SA barrel. I might put it on that one. Or was this done after WW2?
    Circumstances indicate that buttplate rework was done during overhaul prior to WWI, i.e., 1910-16.

J.B.