Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sub Inspector's initials, R.D.R.

Has anyone a 1903 Springfield stock or maybe even a Krag stock or a Trapdoor Springfield stock that has the Tiny initials of R.D.R stamped into it? I've lost the name of who's initials they were except that I remember he was a sub-inspector at one time for Field Replacement stocks. Anyone have some information to share about this? Thanks.

These initials are stamped into a 1903 Rod Bayonet rifle, field replacement stock.

Last edited by Fred; 05-28-2015 at 12:47.

Hi Fred,

IIRC, it was one Robert D. Roper. I'll try and remember to check further.

Robert D. Roper! Thanks Dick!

4. Default

My information has it that RDR was employed by Springfield to do restoration and repair and was paid by the piece. I have several trapdoor muskets (one I remember is an 1868) and two Krags with RDR. One of the Krags is a long stocked 1896 carbine with the only marks being RDR. The other Krag is a very nice 1896 with the original 1897 dated stock with firing proof. Right behind the P is RDR. This would seem to show that RDR was not just a stock inspector.

Thank you for all of that information!

Krag, if you have any photo's of those guns and of the stampings on them, I'd like to see them!
    Last edited by Fred; 05-28-2015 at 12:13.

I think that the format of the stampings on the earliest 1903 Springfield's is of the same sized lettering and format as the stampings on the U.S. Krags. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Last edited by Fred; 05-28-2015 at 05:27.

It certainly LOOKS to be the same stamp(s) - whether or not they actually are will take some close measuring and comparative photos.

I do wish that I'd retained at least one of my Krags so that I could compare. Springfield Armory WAS producing Krags as well as 1903's at the same time for awhile, so it seems reasonable to think that there would've been some overlap in the use of stamps. Especially right after S.A. ceased Krag production.
    Just an observation...
    Last edited by Fred; 05-29-2015 at 11:53.

Sweet rifle.