Thread: New Toy

Default New Toy

Just recently assembled a new No4 Mk1 with a barrel forwarded by Criterion. The barrel fit an old 1943 BSA action, so the action and basic parts were freshly Parkerized. The barrel was left in the white and will remain that way to indicate that it is a test barrel.

The stocking was from odds and ends of unusual wood that I've been hiding for years. The butt is 3/16" vertical laminate, the upper handguards 3/8" horizontal laminate and the forestock is beautiful birdseye. Photos don't do justice to the birdseye. The center bedding method was used and a PH-5C mounted in hopes of a better sight picture for testing.

The barrel shoots quite well, and is very easy to clean. I have groups, and photos of groups, but I'm not done testing, so will save all that until later. I will say that the load I'm liking so far is 46 grains of Accurate Arms 4350 behind a 174 grain Hornady match bullet. Canadian 7z DA ball from 1951 shot like it should and a 1975 lot of Greek ball was not pleasing at all.

Criterion No 4 MK1 002.jpgCriterion No 4 MK1 005.jpgCriterion No 4 MK1 006.jpgCriterion No 4 MK1 008.jpg

Wishing all a great Memorial Day.
    Last edited by Bill Wylde; 05-26-2015 at 08:25. Reason: correction

Most interesting. Over the years I've had occasional experience w/ LE rifles of various types. Have no no experience w/ any of the WWII era rifles. This one looks like it would be a real hoot to shoot! From the pictures and your description it looks and sounds like you know your way around these rifles. Will look forward to further posts. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

That is absolutely beautiful. Is it one of the 7.62 NATO barrels?
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

Love shooting the No.4 and No.5's. Lovely bolt
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Best I could come up with is an "artisan at work." Thanks for the photos, looking forward to seeing the final results with a range report.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.