Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
  1. Default

I know this is an old post, but Stebbins in his book give the opinion that the ones that would blow up already DID blow up. Any exisiting LN receiver has been re-barreled and fired many times. He also shows how to tell if there is a problem on the receiver.
    So no, I personally will not shoot a LN gun, but it may well be safe at this point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    I know this is an old post, but Stebbins in his book give the opinion that the ones that would blow up already DID blow up. Any exisiting LN receiver has been re-barreled and fired many times. He also shows how to tell if there is a problem on the receiver.
    So no, I personally will not shoot a LN gun, but it may well be safe at this point.
    I have seen a few reports of LN 03's blowing up in modern times and Chuckindenver has seen more and catalogues them.

Admittedly the ones I saw referenced blew because of a reloading error, but the point still remains, a DHT or NS will stay together while a LN grenades in a serious reloading error.

I don't know of a LN 03 that has blown in the modern era with quality ammunition.

A couple I have seen referenced on the net blew because the owner thought they'd be extra safe and use a reduced load with pistol powder and accidentally double charged.

I think shooting a LN 03 with good ammo is safe.

I think my late number 03's shoot the same as my low number 03, so I don't see the point in firing 36018.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur