Thread: Medals

1. Default Medals

When medals are awarded. for example the Purple Heart, is the individuals name engraved on the back?

I don't think the answer is cut and dry. Usually the rule is they are only engraved when they were KIA. But that isn't totally true. I've seen WIA engraved. I've seen replacements that were engraved when the vet ordered replacements for ones they lost.

I've seen private engraving. Basically the vet took it to a local engraver and had it engraved. I've seen a lot of variations.

But generally PH's were only engraved when the vet was KIA. But as always there are a lot of exceptions to the rules.

3. Default

Thank you very much. blocker

Thumbs up

The medal was Not engraved when presented to you, you got to do that yourself.
    There was a card that came in the box with all of the cased medals which you filled out and sent with the medal to, if I remember right, Philadelphia Army Depot and they engraved the medal (for free) and returned it to you.
    You could also have the engraving done at your expense, which accounts for some of the variations in what/how the engraving is done.
    I sent all of mine in together and seems like it took about a month to get them back - in 1970.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF