Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .45 BALL Spam Can

Just wondering if anyone out there has opened up a can like the one I have pictured? If so, could you let me know what you found inside? I'm thinking about opening mine, but just not sure if I should.

Thanks, GregV
    IMG_8553.jpg

There has to be more information on the can then what is in your photo. Cannot help ID it unless more information is provided.

I guess that's why I'm stumped. No other marking on the can except ::45 on the end. I looked it over really good. I'll open it up later today and let you know what I find.
    IMG_8558.jpg

If steel cased WW11 wouldn't it be corrosive? I have a lot of that but 45's are easy to clean.

Yes your right if it's WW2 steel case it corrosive but steel case was also made about the mid 50's in small batches and non corrosive. But this can doesn't even have a lot number on it as to who made it. I think it may be post Korean war vintage but the only way to know for sure is to open it.

If it's corrosive you could pull it down for components.

Opened it up. Here is what I found. At first, it looked like brass case, but I'm sure it's steel that has turned color a bit. Most inside are head stamped ECS 4, at least I think that's an S, Thought it might be EC 45 until I saw a few stamped ECS 43. One is stamped EC4IMG_8611.jpgP5170388.jpgP5170391.jpg

ECS= Evansville Chrysler Sunbeam
    ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

You have a mix of EC head stamps and dates. The ECS was only used in the early production of steel case ammo at EC in 1944. The later head stamp most often found is the EC no S stamp. Steel case, copper plated steel bullet and corrosive primed. There is a lot of it floating around so no collector value. They made hundreds of millions of rounds of this ammo in case of an emergency where no brass was available during WW2. The vast majority of it was given away to other countries after the war. Quite a bit of it had been imported back about 15 years ago from South America. Shoot it as is and clean your .45 well or take it apart and use the powder and bullets for reloading.

I machine rest tested a slug of .45 ammo for a friend years ago. This included handloads and military ball. I had no real interest in the outcome of the test, but did chamber a 1911 length barrel for the South African Musgrave action used on the machine rest. I recall that most all ammunition shot better than expected. The Evansville Chrysler ammo shot very well, but was the cause of proper cleaning after the test. I remember shooting at two ranges. Surely it had to be 25 and 50 yards.