Default Rubberized Canvas

Does anyone know if there is anything that can be put on the Japanese rubberized canvas to protect/soften it?

I do not know of any product that will soften the rubber. Once that stuff gets hard that it. That is starts to breakdown and turn to a powder.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

Like 1mark says, nothing fixes dried rubber.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Reminded me of a rubberized Enfield sling I have. Strip of rubber between cloth on either side. Supposed to be a cost saving idea.
    Only problem is the rubber hardened and you could now use it to almost chop down a tree!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Reminded me of a rubberized Enfield sling I have. Strip of rubber between cloth on either side. Supposed to be a cost saving idea.
    Only problem is the rubber hardened and you could now use it to almost chop down a tree!
    Or for a saber..

I have taken off and also put on, hardend unbendable rubberized rifle slings on Japanese rifles by using a hair dryer to heat and soften the slings enough so they can be removed or put on the rifle swivels without damage however, once they cool back down, they return to the same hard condition again. Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 06-25-2015 at 12:15.