Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Early M1903 marked with "TENN"

A close friend got very lucky and found a completely original M1903 - #160,864 with an SA 05 barrel and BHM one-bolt stock. On the top of the "small" of the stock is a faint, but discernible "TENN". Ships' markings have been reported on a number of M1903s over the years, but, to my knowledge, never one in this position, usually on the buttstock. I wondered if anyone had any comments on this.

Since the rifle appears to be in the condition it was in the early 1900s, I also have a theory about which "Tennessee" this may have been assigned to. Most of us are aware of the battleship Tennessee [BB43] which was at Pearl Harbor. However, the ship was not completed until 1919 and I am thinking that any M1903 on that ship would have been modified at least to WWI standards. I've also seen at least a couple of "TENN"-marked M1903s of a later vintage that have the markings on the buttstock.

Not so well-known was the earlier Tennessee [ACR10], which was an armored cruiser and was in service from 1906 to 1922. The name was changed in 1916 to use the name for BB43. Shortly after the name-change, the Memphis (as it was now known), was hit by a rogue wave off Santo Domingo and the ship had to be abandoned. (The commanding officer was Capt. Edward Beach, father of the Edward Beach who served as a sub commander during WWII and wrote the novel Run Silent, Run Deep.)

Here is a picture of the markings - there is also a "107" on the stock, which is probably a rack number. I am wondering if this rifle could have been assigned to the earlier ship. It I not listed on SRS.

249 - Copy (1024x315).jpg

Here is a picture of the Tennessee (ACR10):

USS_Tennessee_(ACR-10).jpg
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 05-09-2015 at 09:09.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Very Interesting Rick!

Default another TENN

This rifle was found at a small gun show in GA about 10 or 12 years ago, the seller stated that it
    came from the CMP storeP1010047.jpgP1010049.jpgP1010064_0054_054.jpgP1010067_0057_057.jpg

Interesting - the lettering does look the same, but I could see this being on the "later" Tennessee, given the serial number. The "earlier" one was, in effect, out of service after 1916, although not officially stricken until 1922.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Default still another TENN marked stock

This stock has the W.E.S. cartouche and a later two stock bolt stock

First stock on SA 825055 was a D.A.L. cartoucheP1010032_0028_028.jpg

Rick? Where do you find these gems? That is just dripping with rich history. Absolutely amazing too bad not an SRS hit.

I like the picture of the crusier

Not my rifle (although I wish it was). A local friend got it. All original, $699!
    --C.S. Lewis

Rick,

I think I need to follow some of you guys around at a gun show. Maybe I'll get some of your "backsplash" of good luck!

Years ago, I got a reputation of always putting back down on a gunshow table the rifle I SHOULD have bought! The crowds following me got to really be a nuisance!!
    --C.S. Lewis

Shooter5 Guest

Nice! Very intriguing! Probably on to something. I have a soft spot for Tennessee since I've been stationed there several times; its also my daughters middle name! I wrote the State Historian once and asked if they had BB43 records for small arms inventory and unfortunately they did not.