Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I missed that picture. I agree, it looks flat in that pic, but it still has the milled ledge under the sight and the DULITE finish. WRA was the only one with those features. The top of the rear ring on WRA cylinders was finished by hand, on a a grinder, so maybe the person finishing it off just ground it a little too much and made it look flat.

2. Default

I email them asking there input on the Gas cylinder and if it is "Restored" I will post the answer.
    liberum aeternum

I know just enough about M1s to be dangerous, but I'm going to weigh in on this anyway.

Unless someone is the equivalent of Scott Duff and holding the rifle in his hands it is very, very difficult to say what it is other than an exceptionally nice looking M1 in early configuration. It could be a restoration on a really, really nice W.R.A. rebuild but I personally sort of doubt that. Unless it is a re park the restorer(s) would have had to use substantially new WRA parts to complete the restoration and in that case even an expert might not be able to tell, for example even Duff regularly uses "appears to be" when speaking of original rifles.

On Uuuurah's comment about the stock being a Boyd's. If it is and those cartouches were applied to a Boyd's stock it the rifle is an out and out forgery and selling it is probably not only dishonest to the point it would tarnish the C.M.P.s reputation forever but is also probably a prosecutable criminal offense.

My personal view is it could be all original from the factory that was a locker queen for 76 odd years, or an extremely good restoration. Either way its going to go for a heck of a lot of money. If I spent that kind of money for it and was concerned about authenticity I'd take it to my own expert (someone on Duff's level") and have him check it out. If I was dissatisfied after getting his opinion I'd send it back, simple enough.
    Last edited by Art; 05-15-2015 at 11:02.

As of 5/15 it is at 10,000

I asked CMP if it is in Original condition

I suspect based on people's willingness to bid that high they believe it to be original

I will relay their reply
    There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced by circumstances to meet.

People do not care if the rifle is original or not, someone will dump a lot of money, same as when serial number 7 sold

Blog Entries

All funds go to support the CMP mission. More $$ the better, let the collectors educate themselves. The CMP is selling a nice rifle, and people will happily pay what they think its worth.

Anyone can show a better condition Winchester, though none have.

7. Default

This was posted today on the CMP Auction Forum by GhostInTheMachine:
    "The rifle was as received out of the box. It was mixed in with other rifles of various condition."

The CMP WRA is a great looking rifle. Since this rifle is selling so high, I think it would be interesting if someone from the GCA would do an article on the rifle for the publication. As far as equal or better, the GCA did an article in the summer 2002 issue of a WIN13 that came out of the WRA ref collection (unissued). I believe a similar rifle is pictured in Canfield's book. I think RCS is on to something..

9. Default

never received an answer, price is at 39 grand
    liberum aeternum

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    never received an answer, price is at 39 grand
    You wont get a answer as CMP doesnt want the bidders to drop out as they wouldnt pay that much for a rifle that isnt correct or original