Default Looking for info on MP WW2 revolers

In the family pictures there is a photo of my dad standing in a shooting stance with a revolver.
    He was serving as a stateside MP in the AAC. He was stationed in Mellville (sp) NJ and Dow Field Bngor MA.
    He was never a gun guy so he never bothered to note the weapon and at this stage his memorey is not good
    I was wondering if there was a standard issue for this use or was it what ever was available
    I would like to add such a revolver to my collection
    Thanks for any help.

It could be a S&W Victory model or maybe a Colt. Both would be in .38 spl. Picture of the revolver might help ID it.

Thanks for the info.
    The pic was taken with a small format camera and at a bit of a distance
    I don't think it would enlarge enough for ID

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by macPA View Post
    In the family pictures there is a photo of my dad standing in a shooting stance with a revolver.
    He was serving as a stateside MP in the AAC. He was stationed in Mellville (sp) NJ and Dow Field Bngor MA.
    He was never a gun guy so he never bothered to note the weapon and at this stage his memorey is not good
    I was wondering if there was a standard issue for this use or was it what ever was available
    I would like to add such a revolver to my collection
    Thanks for any help.
    Actually its Millville, NJ. During WWII Millville Army Air Field trained P-47 pilots. Today there's a small museum on the old base which features events from the WWII era.

--fjruple

fjruple thanks My dad finished the war as a P-47 crew chief.
    Knowing my dad he probably was not a very tough MP.
    He has said he never loaded his gun and his markmanship well let just say he knew what a gun looked liked

Both Colt and S&W Model 1917 revolvers in .45acp were issued to U.S. Army MP units during WWII. Don't know if this included AAC. Unlikely IMO that they were issued the S&W Victory or the Colt Commando, both .38 Special, but anything is possible. The .38 Specials were both 4" barrels and the M1917 was a 5.5" barrel on a larger frame.
    "We were winning when I left." 415 days RVN '66-'67. OFC