Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Audible 2-stage trigger - problem, or not?

My 1903 Springfield has an odd 2-stage trigger right now. I don't recall it doing this a year or so ago. Not sure if a safety issue.

Sometimes a picture just doesn't do it, so I made a short film:

Last edited by Liam; 05-06-2015 at 06:16. Reason: updated video link
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Blog Entries

Never seen them stick on the 1st stage, allowing you to let go. I've seen them pull through the 1st stage and drop the firing pin, without any appreciable stop.

I suspect there is a burr, either on the cocking rod nose or the sear. Have you ever stoned the edges for a trigger pull adjustment?

PG 236-237 in the Campbell book explains the trigger interface. I can email you the pages if you'd like?
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 05-04-2015 at 11:33.

Have never altered the trigger in any way. Initially, I thought I was rubbing some wood, but upon inspection that is not the case. I do not have the Campbell book (blasphemy!). I will reach out to you, Roadkingtrax, via jouster member messaging. And…thanks!
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Have you disassembled the trigger? Just as a guess have you looked at the spring to see if it's broken?

Had it apart yesterday, Dave. Cleaned, examined, spring OK. Problem is, I only have the one M1903. I don't have another trigger with which to compare for anomalies. I'll be looking online today for some imagery.

looks like a repro stock...that might be rubbing on the trigger, might be a loose trigger and sear pin, could be a burr...hard to say. unless it was in my hands..
    trigger should be 2 stage, smooth in its operation...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

It's a Keystone C-stock, Chuck. Probably from its passing through Ogden Arsenal rebuild (O.G.E.K. stamps on stock). No evidence of metal/wood contacting at trigger group. The wood is really old and dark underneath, so it's fairly easy to eyeball. Going to do some comparisons today of my trigger against those images I can find of other 1903 triggers. Here's a stupid question: is the rifle supposed to fire if one PUSHES the trigger forward, as opposed to pulling? Mine does. (Edit: mine does WHEN NOT IN STOCK)
    Last edited by Liam; 05-05-2015 at 07:28.

Barreled action removed from stock.

Last edited by Liam; 05-06-2015 at 06:17. Reason: updated video link

Blog Entries

Pushing the trigger forward and it releasing the striker is normal out of the stock. The triggerguard slot prevents this from happening, early rifles would go off like that assembled and they went back and had a small pin installed as a fix.

I see the striker moving forward, which is your click. In my amateur opinion either the striker or the sear has a chip in it, the surfaces should be flat and smooth.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

video links amended
    Last edited by Liam; 05-06-2015 at 06:18.