Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

any before photos?

What is the groove diameter of the re-lined barrel?

Bobby re-lined an 1898 Carbine for me, nice job but the groove diameter is well in excess of .310.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

2. Default

Hi Mark,

Not sure on the groove diameter. Only before photo I have is after I had polished all the metal parts out in the white

The receivers were chromed when I got them from the CMP and rest the parts were your average looking Krag parts as far as finish.

3. Default

So at a 50,000 psi chamber pressure the 30-40 is not considered a hi pressure round?

Or have they advanced to the point of redo the hi pressure barrels. If so that is great.
    liberum aeternum

Shawn, what was your method for polishing the parts?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

5. Default

StockDoc not sure what you are referring to at 50k psi. 40k psi is all the higher you want to go, I think my 125gr load is around 30-32k according to quickload. The 175 load is around 36k. 50k your going to shear off the lug and possibly destroy the action as the Krag action is "Brittle" just like the early 03's why it is so slick.

IditarodJoe,

I have the felt polishing wheels I use with the various grits, but also will use the felt wheels on the dremel and for the places where I cant get that to work i use the good old stones. The polishing is the most time consuming part.

Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    So at a 50,000 psi chamber pressure the 30-40 is not considered a hi pressure round?

Or have they advanced to the point of redo the hi pressure barrels. If so that is great.
    Was that Norwegian Krag data by any chance? Their action design is a bit different in that the safety lug on the bolt is designed to bear. Also, they are made of - if not better, at least more predictably heat-treated - steel. They will digest "hotter" ammo, loaded for the Swedish Mauser, with no real issues, though a steady diet of such would not be recommended. US Krags should be kept at 43K or below - 40K being a prudent choice. They can be safely loaded awfully close to (factory) .308 Winchester performance - no deer could tell the difference.

Shawn: Your efforts are especially with merit since you started with plated 'drill rifle' ugly parts. You made a silk purse out of a Sow's ear! What was the source of your Stock and Hand-guard?

9. Default

Actually only receivers were chromed. The barreled weren't which I thought was strange. There is a local place that dipped them and removed the chrome off the receivers. Rest of the parts were from standard issue rifles. The picture I posted with all the parts shiny were after the metal parts had been polished out

Beautiful job Shawn!

If you're shooting at Perry this year, what day/relay are you planning on shooting? I'm shooting Vintage on Sunday AM relay with Bob Wolfe (madsenshooter) and my son. We'd love to have more Krags squad with us.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo