Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Krag Restoration comlpete

Here are the pictures it is done. Need to replace the front sight as I only had the 92/96 front blade. Rifle itself was manufactured in 1903 and saw service down in the Panama area. Was given to the USN in 1943. All parts restored to original finish of Oil black, Rust blue (Browning as per Springfield), or Nitre blue. Not bad for $75 from the CMP as Krag junk. All parts are original accept for the stock.

Nice work Shawn! You should write a note about the restoration and put it under the buttplate so future owners will understand how this fine rifle came to be.

jn

3. Default

Good idea. I've restored my entire Krag collection and Trapdoor collection. This one had the barrel relined and going to shoot it this year at Perry.

Wow, that is a very nice job, love the furniture. Hard to believe the CMP considered that junk, well done job.
    liberum aeternum

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    Wow, that is a very nice job, love the furniture. Hard to believe the CMP considered that junk, well done job.
    Well all I got from the CMP was the barreled receiver.

Nice job Shawn. Could you explain more about the barrel re-lining (who & where and expense involved)? I have a Krag that deserves a new bore.

7. Default

I sent it to Bobby Hoyt (1-717-642-6696) he is known for doing a lot of musket barrels, hes cut and stretched my M16, M55, and M63 barrels. The lining is hammer forged and comes out of KY shoots VERY nice as I had thrown this barrel on my other M98 before I started. I don't remember what the total cost was but I believe it was cheaper than getting a new barrel. He drills the old barrel out and then presses the lining in. Give him a call and he can explain it more.

Great job!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Shawn: Thanks for the contact info. on Bobby Hoyt.

10. Default

I enjoy doing it, if anyone would like their Krag restored I'd be open to doing it.