Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scan/copy instructions for Lee M1 carbine dies?

I'm getting a set of 3 Lee dies for the M1 carbine and they aren't coming with instructions. Does anyone have some that they would scan or copy for me?

I checked the Lee website and they have only "generic" rifle and pistol die instructions. The carbine doesn't seem to be either fish or fowl. Lee has 3-die pistol instructions or 2-die rifle instructions. These will come with three dies.

Thanks - please PM or email me (rrsbls[at]msn.com) if you can help.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I have a Lee set but it will take me a bit to scan and E-mail to you if you want.

That would be fine - I understand. Thanks for your help!!

RtL
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I use them, too. No different than any other straight wall pistol type case dies. However, you have to lube cases. Also taper crimp.

Ed

Yup, Lee lists them as a 3-die carbide pistol set. Use the instructions at http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Pistol3.pdf - but don't expect you can dispense entirely with case lube; carbine cases are too long, tapered, and stiff for that.

Rick; make sure you trim if necessary. A little bit shorter than max spec doesn't hurt.

Like 4F4Nam says, you set 'em up just like any other pistol die. Should be any need to lube if the sizer is carbide though. Absolutely no need to crimp.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Speaking of case length, I have fired cases that measure 1.74" or so in length and I see the minimum is 1.90 or so. If you don't mind a little continuation of my "Reloading 101" course.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 05-01-2015 at 01:26.
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    . . . I have fired cases that measure 1.74" or so in length and I see the minimum is 1.90 or so. . .
    There's something very wrong with those numbers. SAAMI specs for .30 Carbine case length are 1.290" maximum with a tolerance of -.010" (minimum 1.280"). Did somebody skip over a digit when remembering?

SAAMI30carb.jpg

Let's assume you meant 1.274" and 1.290". Did you measure before or after sizing? When sized, fired cases get skinnier and longer. Length after sizing shouldn't be less than 1.280" - but I get away with them down to about 1.270" for plinking. Headspace in the carbine is established at the abrupt end of the chamber mouth, so really short cases aren't good for positive ignition and extractor longevity. (Too long, and the bolt won't close.)
    Last edited by Parashooter; 05-01-2015 at 03:20.

I trim mine as close as I can to 1.280. I load them with AA # 9 and chrono them to 1980 or 2000 FPS. Accuracy is very good, better than i can see at 100 yds.