Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back to the AR

Blog Entries

The only poofs I've ever seen were with Rock River NM rifles shooting unknown tracers. Normally tracers aren't allowed at the range due to the fire hazard, but it had rained the last few days and everything was quite soggy and the guys firing were competent to hit the 200 yard berm, so the safety officers allowed it. There were probably one in ten poofs on whatever tracer one was shooting, none with the other shooter.

More interesting was how far they ricocheted off the berm and into the woods.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I would love to see the video, Chris. About the only video I have of the C-77 was when a Army fella was here to test a rifle. This guy was good! Slow fire at 500 yards into about a two inch elevation. Rapid fire, and I don't know how he got back on target that fast, was a head size group. Didn't want this character shooting at me!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wylde View Post
    You just never visited my basement, Chris. When I would go to Ottawa, several cases would be waiting. When my friends came South, they knew the entry fee. My Grandchillens will have to work hard to get rid of it!

The SR 8.2 would have been for the 69s and some of Jimmy Knox's 70-75 VLDs. You have probably never hit cool weather with that 8.2.......I was really fortunate in those development days to have Boots Obermeyer and Jack Krieger. The bullets were coming fast and those gentlemen were coming fast with the barrels. I remember well one time when I asked Jack Krieger to make some .218 bore barrels. He was screaming about having to buy a new reamer. If you were to ask him today, wonder what he might say? Boots had already made some .217 bore barrels, so was good to go with that. Those barrels just plain worked! The end for me was 7.7" twist for the SR and 8" for the MR.

Most of the SS-109 type ammo was complete garbage. I still have a bit of all of it, thinking it might mean something to history at some point. Problem with that is that few care.
    I still own a stainless Krieger barrel for a AR-15 A2 that I shot years ago had it rifled 1:9. This thing shoots better than my Remington 700 HB in .22-250, even with little SMK 53 grainers(it's favorite bullet).
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson