Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 30-06 brass problem

I recently purchased some surplus, "once fired" brass in 30-06. I cleaned and sorted them by headstamp and I sized/deprimed a bunch and attempted to trim. The pilot section of my Lyman trimmer would not enter the case mouth more than 3/16". I had noticed an annular "crimp" but since the case went through the sizing die "normally" I paid no attention (similar to the cannalure around some revolver brass to help w/setback). I checked a bit closer and noticed these crimps were quite heavy, some about .005" deep (which makes the case neck ID .010" smaller) about 1/8"-3/16" below the case mouth. Headstamps are mostly LC, but there are a few DEN and TW. I haven't decided whether to load and shoot 'em, possible ream the necks, or scrap them. I don't think I wanna force a bullet in a case that's .010" too small...

Any ideas the original use? What's the consensus? Use 'em, ream 'em, or toss 'em?

If they are military brass, I.e. LC (Lake City), it's very good brass. However, the primer cups are crimped, as is the bullet/case neck. You can gently ream the case neck to remove any burrs and the extreme crimp. Just be careful to not shorten the necks beyond proper OAL. The primer cups will need to be swaged to remove the crimp or your primers will not seat properly. RCBS has an inexpensive primer cup swage die that is made for military brass (available at Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, etc.), and will do both large (30-06/M2, and 7.62X51), and small (5.56mm).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Your description of that crimp makes me think that what you have is fired blank brass. Blanks were thought to be loaded with reject or sub-standard cases. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Ed

I've reloaded bunches of military "once fired" brass in 45 ACP, 9mm, and 7.62x51 and am familiar with removing primer crimps and "normal" brass processing. I've not seen any blank cartridges with this annular crimp, just a star crimp, but I'm not really familiar with some of the "different" military ammo. Perhaps these cases were intended for machine gun use? All other dimensions on the "crimped" brass are the same on all the other LC and DEN cases. I've reloaded mebbe 400 HXP cases quite successfully, and I just got "hit" with some odd-ball LC brass...
    Last edited by mikld; 04-29-2015 at 09:53.

Star crimped blanks were grenade launching cartridges. Plain "salute" blanks have an annular neck crimp to secure a red card wad. Can you post a picture of the brass you are working with?

Ed

Looks like this?

blankM1909.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4Nam View Post
    Star crimped blanks were grenade launching cartridges. Plain "salute" blanks have an annular neck crimp to secure a red card wad. Can you post a picture of the brass you are working with?

Ed
    Hmmm. Sounds like you're correct, annular crimped blanks. I'll try to post a pic The case on the left is clearest view of the crimp with the others less visible (but still there...).

DSCN1158.jpg
    Last edited by mikld; 04-29-2015 at 12:48.

Ahhh yes, sorry, I must have missed that. Looks like blanks.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Those are blanks. I would not feel safe loading them. You would be best to recycle the brass.
    "In God We Trust"

Yup. Ceremonial blanks. They might be okay to reload? But I WOULD NOT trust them, personally. There is too much good '06 brass out there to take a chance.

Ed