Default Konus Spotting Scope

I've come to the realization that I need a decent spotting scope. Unfortunately funds are not unlimited. I'm looking at the Konus 15-45X65 zoom with angled eye piece as a possibility. It's in the price range I can mostly afford. Any one have any feed back on this scope, or something comparable? I like the fact that the body can rotate on the attachment ring, something that the Celestron doesn't do. I'll be using it mostly at 100 and 200 yards.
    Thanks
    Jon

2. Default

We have several of the 80mm Konus scopes for our junior high power team. They work well but I'm used to a 25X long eye relief eyepiece you can get for a Kowa scope. If Konus let you change eyepieces and offered a long eye relief model, that would be a big improvement. That being said, the Konus scopes have held up and do a good job for our juniors.

Just out of curiosity, I did a little price checking on the Konus 20-60x80mm spotting scope with tripod and case (model 7120) and found the results interesting.

Amazon (best price) $218.90 & free shipping
    Optics Planet.com $229.36 & free shipping
    Creedmore Sports $229.95 & $18.63 shipping
    Cheaper Than Dirt $279.99 & free shipping

Any day when you learn something new isn't wasted and I learned something about CTD today.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Blog Entries

I have the 20x60x80. One lens under the power ring has come loose. After transport, I have to either run the power setting up and down or shake it a little to get the lens seated right. It's not a problem after that.

The supplied tripod is very cheap
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Thanks for the replies. I bit the bullet today and bought the Konuspot 80, on line, brand new in box for $170 including shipping. I think I did ok.
    Jon
    Last edited by musketjon; 04-28-2015 at 04:45.

6. Default

You did well at that price. I've been using a Konuspot 80 for about 5-6 years now. It's been dinged and banged some, and was blown off a bench onto the concrete once. Still doing fine. Great scope for the money. Have had no problems with it (the tripod is crap, though). Never had any trouble finding bullet holes at 200yds, anyway.

7. Default Celestron 80 mm is an option

A zoom 20 to 60 iirc. Don't know which is better. But, Konus is sold a lot. Vendor at Camp Perry sells many konus and thru online and print catalog , Maybe Champions Choice or the other vendor.

It is possible to buy a clear or colored filter to protect lens.

The included tripod was unstable plastic junk.

I own a Konus spoting scope and the glass is very good for the money. 10 years ago they had a problem with the pot metal ring around the scope breaking easily but is fixable with a large hose clamp.
    I bought mine from Jim Owens years ago.