Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    Two groove barrels were used on many wartime No.4 Rifles. They are not really rare. (Remington used two groove barrels on some 1903A3 rifles). There is no point in replacing an issue barrel unless it no longer shoots well.

BTW - The Albatross is a real seabird. In Coleridge's poem, "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner", a young sailor kills one and brings bad luck to his Ship and Crewmates. They hang the Albatross around his neck and set him adrift in a lifeboat to break the curse.

('Hen's Teeth' are rare, two groove barrels and Albatross are not).
    Roger, trackin, just some of my misguided humor... By the way, i got her in my stable now, and i'll give her some range time soon to see if she'll shoot good enough to compete in our local vintage military shoots... Tango mike guys for all the input...
    bombdog, out...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

I hope your two-groove Savage performs well for you.

So, no pictures, but range report as follows... Flipped up rear sight, lowered the slide aperture to the bottom, 2, mk III sights,'200 hundred meters' i assume... Fired 3 rounds @ 100yds... Elevation poi was center of target aiming black, windage was 8 inches to the 3:00 pos... Now for group sizes... i fired 3 strings of 3... All were in the same 3:00 area, first group was about 3.5 inches, next was 3 to 3.25... The kicker was the final 3 round group... 1.75 to 2 inches... Didn't have a caliper so i estimated with a dollar bill... i reckon this here wrung out 2 grove albatross barrel won't be being swapped anytime soon... Oh yeah, i was feeding her PPU 174gr fmj's...
    Thanks much for all the input gents... You all helped me make the decision to go on and give the guy $25.00 and a $200.00 scope for the trade... No worries ehh mates...
    bombdog, out...
    Last edited by bombdog; 04-25-2015 at 01:01.
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

'bombdog' - FYI - WW2 Britain used English Measure (not metric). Your sight graduations are in yards. (Your barrel was proofed in lbs. per square inch in long tons)!

If you wish to 'tweak' your windage, move your front-sight blade opposite the direction you want to move your group. When you look at the front of your front-sight base, you should see a small 'clamping screw' with an odd head. Instead of a slot, the screw head has a raised 'ridge'.

I made a tool by taking an Allen Wrench of appropriate size and slotting the end (of the short leg) with a hacksaw. I enlarged and 'cleaned up' the slot with small files until it tightly fit over the ridge. With the 'clamping screw' loosened, it is easy to drift the front sight blade. Go slow with the sight correction and re-tighten.

I'm glad you are having fun and getting good results. Don't be shooting any Albatross.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 04-26-2015 at 08:28.

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    'bombdog' - FYI - WW2 Britain used English Measure (not metric). Your sight graduations are in yards. (Your barrel was proofed in lbs. per square inch in long tons)!

If you wish to 'tweak' your windage, move your front-sight blade opposite the direction you want to move your group. When you look at the front of your front-sight base, you should see a small 'clamping screw' with an odd head. Instead of a slot, the screw head has a raised 'ridge'.

I made a tool by taking an Allen Wrench of appropriate size and slotting the end (of the short leg) with a hacksaw. I enlarged and 'cleaned up' the slot with small files until it tightly fit over the ridge. With the 'clamping screw' loosened, it is easy to drift the front sight blade. Go slow with the sight correction and re-tighten.

I'm glad you are having fun and getting good results. Don't be shooting any Albatross.
    Not me brother, i won't even be hunting those things, lol... Anyway, thanks for the info on the sight adjustments... i did read in one article about the special tool for the front sight adjustment... i did enjoy shooting 'molly' (female mule)... Did i mention a female mule can kick??? So i'm a puss not a brit soldier from the battle of North Africa... Those men were tough...
    Again, thanks guys for the help... Keep em in the X ring...
    bombdog, out...