Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Question for swede mauser experts

I have an all matching crispy purpose built model 38 short rifle with an unusual stock disc that I have never seen before. It is brass. It is in the usual spot on the stock and it is attached with 4 brass nails. On the stock is a large M over the number 28 over 3 swedish crowns. I wish I knew how to post a photo here but I dont. Does anyone know what this disc means? I can e mail anyone interested a photo of it. Thanks in advance.

Do some research on Swed military designations, may be a unit mark? I have never paid close attention to these rifles at gun shows, have never heard of or seen such markings.

The disc carries a record of the bore condition found during the last arsenal inspection.

4. Default

No this one is different. There is no bore data only the description that was given. Thanks anyway.

Dutchman has a photo on http://dutchman.rebooty.com/disc.html listed as "Unknown disc mounted on 1905 m/96 in my collection.".

Photo http://dutchman.rebooty.com/images/disc22.jpg

This site also has information about the different disks.

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artikla..._se_rifles.htm

6. Default

I saw that site. But there has to be someone who knows what the markings mean.

I think some of the Swedes were issued to game wardens, foresters, and other non-military outfits. I had a Swede once that had what looked for all the world like a brass USFS shield set in where the disc usually sits.

Somewhere there has to be a book on all the Swedish M96 and 38 variations.

jn

I bought the Doug Bowser book when I first purchased a swedish Mauser. Upon reviewing the info., I see no reference to anything resembling the disk described above. However, I do love a challenge, so I will continue looking.swedemauser.jpg
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Didn't the Finns buy a bunch of Swede rifles when fighting the Russkies ?
    Could be a Finn disc ?

10. Default

I just found out what it is. A guy from another site said it is a disc for a navy rifle issued to a naval mine sweeper. The M stands for Minesweeper and the 28 is the ship number. Thanks for every ones input on this mystery.