Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 7th Cavalry Serial Numbers

Is there a good reference that documents the known serial numbers of US M1873 carbines issued to the 7th Cavalry? From what I have seen, it appears to be an area of active research.
    Last edited by cwbuff; 04-17-2015 at 11:23.
    "Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

Not in one place. I've been compiling numbers from various sources for nearly 50 years, and have recorded about 1200 early carbines. Of those, about 70 have some degree (from ironclad to very tenuous) of provenance to the 7th Cav. All of the numbers I have will be published in the book I am finishing up now - hopefully out this year, but more likely next.

Was that a rhetorical question, or did you have a specific number in mind? About the best I can do at the present time is tell you whether it is in a "hot" area, or way out in left field. Known 7th guns run from 12221 to 43617.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 04-16-2015 at 05:46.

I will be interested in buying your book when it comes out. I have an early M1873 carbine. I like to research the items in my collection - it gives them more meaning to me from both a historical and technical perspective. I have done some research on Wilder Brigade Spencer rifles. From that research it became clear that the guns were not crated, shipped and issued in serial number order. I assume the M1873 carbines were done in a similar manner. Clearly our ancestors did not have any consideration for future collectors - but they sure did make a good sport out of trying to figure it all out.

Here are some pics of my M1873 carbine:
    Attached Images Attached Images

...and some additional pics:
    band.jpghammer.jpgfsight.jpgrsight.jpgesa.jpg.

Thanks for sharing the pics - a nice looking gun, overall. It was a new number to me, falling between previously recorded carbines 33729 and 33742.

FWIW, 32811, 33759 and 34874 were surveyed out of the 7th, at Ft. Keogh in April of 1878. Were they with Reno/Benteen et al, at LBH? No one knows - that is what I mean by tenuous.

You are entirely correct in your assumption regarding non-linear shipping, issue, etc.

Many years ago I was a collector of Springfield Carbines and a Custer Buff. I was very serious about both. The quest to tie particular carbines to the LBH was just as intriguing then as it is now. The many searches (by me and by others) seldom resulted in anything positive. With today's Internet it should be a little easier and if anyone has been able to put together a list of possibles, it is Mr. Hosmer. It almost makes me wish I was still into both the Carbines and LBH. Almost.

Ray

Thanks for the information. Is the "Custer era" considered before SN 50,000 or 43,700 or some other SN?

SA made just over 20,000 "first model" "long wrist" carbines. ALL of them were made well before LBH, so any given specimen is theoretically possible to have been there. All such carbines were also under 50,000 (more like 48,000) - and no more were made until the improved M1877 model at around 75,000. I'm not sure how one would define "Custer era" - obviously, I suppose, it would center on 1876.

Then, one must consider that there were 28,000 other arms made during the same period - mostly rifles, but a few cadets as well. The models did not run in solid blocks though trends and clumps are fairly obvious. There are three blocks of early carbines. None from the first block are known to have made it to LBH, at least on the US side.

As noted earlier, in gleaning from a great many sources, about 70 carbine numbers are associated with the 7th at LBH. In most cases the number is known but the whereabouts of the gun (or even if it exists - most likely do not) is not known. There are a handful of forensically ID'd specimens for whom their owners have paid fantastic sums of money, but the ID process used has its' detractors, and some of the stories would appear to have issues and or leaps of faith. It's not an exact science, but it makes for a grand game, all the same.

A number of people "used" to collect TDs but later changed to something else - that is where I differ; my focus has never shifted. This has gotten far too long - hopefully you get the basic picture.

Will this information be documented in your book?

I have not yet decided whether to present the "First Model Carbines" as a chapter, or an appendix.

The book was intended to present only the rare, limited production arms omitted from North Cape's basic book, and that model fits neither classification. My only reason for including it at all was to disseminate the 50 years of collected serial numbers. If it appears as a chapter, there will be at least three or four pages of text, plus the list of 1200+ numbers. Those with association to the 7th Cav. will be marked "7th".

For reasons (mostly space - I'm already in trouble) that I do not wish to go into at this time, none of the individual numbers will have any associated "documentation".

With no intent to be flippant, this will be a soft-cover "take to the shows" pocket reference, not Funk & Wagnall's.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 04-17-2015 at 12:55.