Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sbl11 View Post
    what barrel date have you seen on this late of a rifle? Notice the small ping at the 3 o'clock position in the picture with the front sight portion still in place. I bet the gun was an old dmc release that didn't have a base and someone added the sights to shoot, after all I wouldnt call a finishing nail left in the white armory work...haha. Also, what doesn't S.A. "O" mean?

Virtually all the examples of 499XXXX M1903A4s have December 43 or January 44 Barrels. Barrels that date much later in 44 (May, August etc.) typically have other indications of a rebuild. I do have one rifle in the data, 4995408, with an August 43 barrel. That record came from one of peter Senich's reference books on USMC snipers.

The "SA/O" is a rebuild mark of Springfield Arsenal with "O" being the initial of the inspector.

I have no idea why the counterbore for the head of the mounting screw would have been changed. I suspect the front screw was an ill-fitting civilian replacement.
    Last edited by jgaynor; 04-13-2015 at 10:41.

2. Default

Email sent

My a4 has a 1-44 barrel and ser no 4998267 pretty much orig untouched from R A rebuild. Just a parked bolt the rest as it should be, mount still with orig staking.

if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

5. Default

To be honest I have not actually checked the hole diameter with calipers, I just assume that it is larger being that the larger screw head seats in it. I figure that the screw head itself is supposed to sink in slightly but still make contact with the inside edges of the socket. If I am correct in the larger head socket having been drilled, then those screws would do me no good, as the screw head would undoubtably not contact the socket walls.

Can anyone post a picture of their barrel punch mark? I believe my barrel is a 4 groove.

6. Default

Any one have a base that they are willing to part with? Or need a rifle?��

7. Default

Did they refinish rifles during the rebuild process?

Quote Originally Posted by Sbl11 View Post
    Did they refinish rifles during the rebuild process?
    Not in every case but usually they did. Rifles coming for overhaul were appraised and each given what it needed. In later years i believe refinishing became more automatic. Typically the parts which were originally blued like the stock metal, TG/magazine assembly and bolt were parkerized.

9. Default

Thanks Jim, I tried sending you a private message on the forum but your mailbox is full. I then sent it using the email function but I am not sure if you ever got it.

10. Default

Looking for a front base screw. Any ideas?

Sbl