Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The keeper is one piece. You should be able to ascertain just by wiglging it, whether or not it has separated into two. It is retained by a pin on the band spring, which can be driven out from the left side, using a small punch. The part is readily available at modest cost (like $20 or so). See classifieds, and also list of parts suppliers, at www.trapdoorcollector.com
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 04-22-2015 at 08:45.

2. Default

Capture.JPGGoing back to the Hammer tooling issue, is there a good photo comparison of all the variations of hammers, that clearly shows the differences in the gnurling/hatching patterns?
    I've seen the overall hammer variations of the Trapdoors, but so far, none show good views of the thumb purchase area and the cross-hatching patterns.
    I'm curious if the one I've got was reworked from an original pattern for some reason, and what that reason might have been?? (like the original hatching was worn down, etc.). I can sort of make out some remnants of grooves below the existing pattern, which could lend some clues.
    Attachment 30653Attachment 30654
    Last edited by Bergerboy; 04-22-2015 at 11:53.

There are three general patterns of hammer knurling on trapdoors - the first of which (fine cross-lines in a shield-shaped border) is confined to the muskets, 1865 and 1866 Allin conversions, and the new-made .50-70 models of 1868-1870, so does not apply here.

The first of the .45-70s, up to around 30,000, had coarse criss-cross diagonal lines with no border. There was apparently no set design, as to thickness or number of lines, line spacing, etc. To the best of my knowledge, none originally had horizontal "bottom" lines like yours.

After around 30,000, all hammers had a fine diagonal-crossed-line pattern in an oval border.

Types 1 and 3 were stamped (or rolled) while type 2, yours, was clearly hand-done, since it seems they are all unique.

4. Default

Hi Folks - Quick update:
    The rod keeper was broken, as spotted by Tom - Thanks!
    I put in an email request with Al Frasca, as he has several originals listed on his parts website. Looks like all the ones ID'd as 45-70, would be perfect replacement for mine.
    As an alternative, is there any way to repair the one I've got? (JB Weld, etc.?)
    Seeing the 1870 patent stamp on the part, makes it really hard to simply replace it and relegate the original to the spare parts bin.
    However, I'm guessing that if this part takes enough direct stress from the recoil to actually affect the barrel fit-up and the accuracy, then its likely not going to be enough to glue the part back together, even with high-strength metal epoxy.
    Any inputs from the experts?

20150423_123828.jpg20150423_123921.jpg20150423_124035.jpg
    Last edited by Bergerboy; 04-23-2015 at 09:52.

It's a very common part, NOT worth repairing (or keeping the broken leftovers).

The replacement from Al will have the same patent date.

I have seen them brazed lasted two shots, there is a lot of force on it during recoil.

7. Default

Thanks Folks,
    Went with my son to the Novi, Mich Antique Arms Show on Saturday, and asked around for Trapdoor experts with parts.
    Was going there to look for a replacement rod lock piece as described above, since I hadn't heard back yet from Al Frasca on my inquiry for the same on his website.
    Lo & Behold, the table I was directed to, was manned by, none other than The Man himself.
    He happened to have the very parts that were listed on the website, there for sale in his bins.
    So, for $15, I not only got an identical replacement part, but also a nice 20 minute history lesson from Mr. Frasca.
    The rod lock fit perfectly into the groove in my stock fore-end, and I'm anxious to get it back out to the range to see if it tightens up the groupings at all.
    I also picked up another Trapdoor Bayonet I needed (a "U.S" brass button frog with only 1 dot), as well as a unique dummy version of the 45-70 cartridge box, marked "SMA", used for training by the Sarasota Military Academy.
    All-in-all, a pretty good day!