Thread: #4 wood

Default #4 wood

I know that beech was a very common wood to stock #4s, but was birch ever utilized ?

Yes, especially on North American production. I also suspect the handguards on my No.4 Mk.2 - and perhaps some others I've seen - are birch. They're definitely not beech, but could be either birch or maple. Hard to tell the difference when straight-grained and finished.

Here's my Maltby No. 4 Mk. I. I'm guessing the stock (not the buttstock) is beech?

"We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

4. Default

Yes birch was used on No.4 rifles, as stated above.

I'm in the midst of putting together a No 4 with a new barrel. The stocking is slowing things down a bit, as I've not stocked a standard No 4 since getting one ready for the 100th Canadian Nationals in 1982. When done with this one, I hope to take photos of the stocking. The butt will be 1/8" vertical laminations and the upper handguards will be 3/8" horizontal. The forestock will be beautiful birdseye maple. Among all this Canadian wood there will be Birch somewhere???