Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Stock

I got the epoxy and injector at a woodworking store in Royal Oak, MI. It wasn't cheap either... almost $30 for the kit... but well worth it! I'll have it now in case I need to make future repairs to this, or any other stock.

Incidentally, the stock is good and solid now, and the Krag will be assembled this weekend (I have other commitments during this week). I'll try to hit the range on Saturday and see if I can get sighted back in. More pictures to follow...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Take your screwdriver with you. Shoot some then, check the tightness of the screws. The receiver will settle in a bit, least mine always does after taking the rifle apart.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

it is a little late in this case, but what I found that works great for clamping stock is electrical tape wound around the stock as tight as you can, but the trick is to wind it so the sticky side is OUT.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

The Krag went back together yesterday evening. I've loaded up some moderate 150 gr RN loads, and tomorrow I'll hit the range and get her sighted back in.

I found my front sight blade was a little loose also, so I used a C-clamp and some parallel blocks to slightly close the blade post before reinstalling the blade, which worked like a beauty - now my blade is nice and solid! This could have added to my accuracy issues.

I'll post my results tomorrow after my range trip.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Back from the range. I fired some 65 rounds successfully and the stock is nice and solid!

I fired 15 nice mild rounds with 150 gr RNSP bullets, and 50 rounds of 165 gr SP Spitzer bullets that I wanted to use up. Now, here is the interesting thing. I have been trying to work up these Hornady 150 gr RN bullets (45.1 gr IMR4350/CCI 250promer) in an attempt to find a milder round for CMP competitions, but I've had no luck at all with accuracy. With my elevation set for 200 yards, I was still hitting low. The Hornady 165 gr SP Spitzers were loaded up more than 4 years ago (with 38.5 gr IMR4064p/CCI 200), and I wanted to just use them up because the brass was relatively new and I need the brass. I found, however, that these were peppering the center of the target. Bottom line is, I will order some more of these bullets and load up another 50 rounds. I'll shoot them in the match next month, and if it goes like I hope, I may just continue shooting them from here on out! Oh, and since the bullets have a cannelure and I apply a nice mild factory crimp, I have no issues with feeding... they seem to feed like butter!

Here are a few pictures of the Krag stock, now repaired. Enjoy!

Crack 11.jpg
    Crack 12.jpg
    Crack 14.jpg

Paul, thanks so much for posting all this. That's my kinda rifle. It has some of you in it now.

M
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Sounds like a winner!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Ok, I went ahead and shot the Krag in a CMP match yesterday. I did ok... but mostly, that was me and not the Krag. I use a new load of Hornady 165 grain BTSP spitzers over 36.0 grains of IMR4064 and a CCI 200 primer. The results were encouraging, although I haven't totally abandoned my ole 220 gr loads yet. 80-1X prone, 83-1X rapid (with a saved round), and 71-0X off hand. The stock was nice and solid!

Here's a couple pictures of me shooting prone and off hand.

100_0221 (800x600).jpg
    100_0233 (800x600).jpg

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Fret not, it can be fixed. If it is a recent development oil may not have infiltrated the whole depth and length of the crack. Pry it open as far as you dare and blow it out with compressed air. Use a syringe and inject acetone and blow it out again. Do whatever you need to do to keep the acetone off of the surrounding finish- mask right up to the crack and use plastic wrap on the rest of the wood to absolutely keep the acetone off. After the acetone evaporates out (a few minutes) use the same syringe to inject clear un-thickened epoxy down in as far as you can get it. Another trick is to warm the wood first as that promotes the epoxy to wick into the depths. Un-pry the wood (let it spring shut), carefully wipe away any squeeze out, clamp the crack tightly shut with whatever means is at your disposal. (Heavy duty rubber bands such as one can fashion from bicycle inner tubes work great.) Clean away the squeeze out that clamping will induce. Let cure overnight. Remove clamp. If any squeeze out of hardened epoxy has manifested itself (and it probably will), carefully knock it back with a razor sharp tool of your choosing, and lightly, lightly dodge it with 320-600x paper (re-masking the repair area at this point is a good idea). Remove masking tape, slather it up with linseed oil, and I'll bet your friends will never know it's there. It'll stay shut longer than you will be around to care about it.
    Please define or give a brand of un-thickened epoxy?I have a Thompson Center Hawkins that needs this treatment.
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

10. Default

Good info here. Will this epoxy flow down into a very thin crack and can I inject it with an used insulin syringe?
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson