Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cracked Stock

Hi S.B.

The epoxy I used was definitely not thin. It took quite a bit of force to get it out of the large syringe I used. There's no way you could use an insulin syringe. It is good structural epoxy though, and I imagine that the repair will outlive me! You can see the epoxy I used in an earlier post on this thread. If you have a specific question, please feel free to PM me.

Paul
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

2. Default

Sorry, I should of made myself clearer, the slower(unthickened) setup epoxy I referenced was what gnoahhh mentioned.
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 06-28-2015 at 02:23.
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Roger that.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Sorry, I should of made myself clearer, the slower(unthickened) setup epoxy I referenced was what gnoahhh mentioned.
    Steve
    I use West System epoxy exclusively. I have successfully injected it with syringes, but since I know not which # needle you are using I can't predict if it'll work for you. You can try thinning it a bit with a drop or two of acetone if you can't draw it up into the syringe- but I wouldn't do that if it were a critical structural application, although upon reflection it should be ok for a stock crack repair. Small size West System repair kits can be had reasonably, should you not need a quart/gallon/drum of the stuff.

I can vouch for West Systems. I used to use that years ago when I built aircraft (large models LOL, not the real thing). Good stuff. They just didn't have any when I purchased the stuff I used. The stuff I used was great too, and I would highly recommend it.

6. Default

I worked for 15 years in a wooden boat shop where we bought the stuff in 50 gallon drums. I should tell you about the dope who left the spigot open on a drum of resin overnight. A 50 gallon puddle of epoxy resin on the floor is a sight to behold!

LOL I bet!