Thread: Recent purchase

1. Default Recent purchase

I, recently, purchased a 1908 Krag off the Krag Ccollectors site. It appears to have been re-done( by CMP?)and was done very well. Bayonet was included but, suffers from time.
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S.B.; 06-28-2015 at 09:31.
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Nice looking Krag!

That front sight blade looks kinds of short for an 1898 with a 1901 rear sight... but that may be because of the angle of the picture. Can you take a close up of the front sight?
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

3. Default

Front sight.
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Default

Looks like a b lade for a '96 rear sight

5. Default

If you say so, I'm sure you'd know more than I. But the rear is a 1901? So, are you saying I need to get a front blade for a 1901 and replace this one?
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 06-28-2015 at 06:37.

Take it to the range before you mess around with the front sight!

Agree... Take her out and give her a dance. The POI might be a shade off, but fortunately the 1901 Krag sight is very adjustable, so you'll be able to compensate.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I agree, try it first, but I'm going to predict it'll be about 3" high at 100yd, could be more depending on the load you use. That brings me to a question about the 1901 sight. I have one that has been modified. It's had a half circle of about 1/8 depth and width milled between the legs of the leaf. One can see the leaf's pin running through the bottom of the circle. This allows the aperture to remain visible when one lowers it a considerable amount below the 100yd mark. It appears to be a modification done right, like arsenal work. Maybe it was so those shooting gallery rounds could get a zero. Anyone else got one so modified or any input on it?
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I've done a similar modification to one or the other of the Buffington sights - without cutting through to the axle. It's sometimes handy being able to go a bit lower. Just takes a minute or two with a round needle file, then a dab of cold blue. Nicely hidden when leaf is down and slide fully lowered.

Is the front stacking swivel broken. Looks like it's missing one loop.

Jerry Liles