Default 1903 rod bayonet

You don't find these around much anymore, this was purchased about 25 years ago. still looks new, doubt it was ever
    issued. DSCN1439.jpgDSCN1441.jpgDSCN1442.jpgDSCN1443.jpg

2. Default

Quite a find. I wonder id they used the design from the M1888 ?

I'm quite sure that's where the design originated. Excluding one-off patterns, there were four RB trapdoors. I have three of them and am building a mockup of the missing item (M1882) with salvaged parts around a genuine bayonet.

At least one of the .30 cal. TD "laboratory" rifles was fitted with a rod-bayonet of reduced diameter. Unlike the '03, it retained the knurled head. IIRC, I believe that the 1900/1901 design(s) were also intended to have that feature.

1901 Springfield prototype:

Sprg-1901-proto1.JPG

It's been more than a few years ago, but deChristopher Militaria sold those for a nominal price.

I believe Teddy Roosevelt got the prototype. He managed to snap off the bayonet trying it out, and that was the END of that!

I remember Rod Bayonets (JUST the "rods") selling in the $75 range about 1980 or so.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

One in Excellent condition just sold on eBay for $44.00. Most go for around $100.00 on eBay which is still a good price.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-15-2015 at 03:19.