Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Herschel, would not that stock be to early for that receiver?

Charles

Blog Entries

No. That is an NRA stock, which is also referred to as the 1922 stock. It came out on the original Model of 1922 rifles. It was also used on the 1922M1 Sales Variation Rifles, the 1922M1 DCM Club Issue rifles and the M2 Sales Variation.

Blog Entries

Roger, The 1922M1 on gunauction that you provided the link for is one that was equipped with the early type M2 bolt. I noticed that the receiver marking was not changed from 1922M1 to 1922MII. This was one of the type that Butch Eyberg referred to in his 1985 Man At Arms magazine article as "Transition Models". These were late production 1922M1's that were fitted with the M2 bolt and magazine before leaving SA as new items.
    Your rifle has the late type M2 bolt and is a earlier production 1922M1 so it would not fit into the transition rifle category.
    Last edited by Herschel; 03-31-2015 at 07:48.

4. Default

Herschel those transition guns seem to be more common than I thought. This rifle # 20486 was also a transition I believe,although I didn't know it at the time I wanted to bid on it. It is interesting that you place my gun in the "transition" category. Have you given any thought as to their rarity?

http://poulinantiques.auctionflex.co...num=32&lang=En

After reading the descrition given about the stock maybe not , but IIRC this rifle had the early M2 bolt and was listed in the SRS.
    Last edited by Fast996; 03-31-2015 at 07:33.

Blog Entries

I must be careful in my proofreading of my posts. I intended to say #9023 would not be in the transition category.

Eyberg listed over 80 transition guns by serial number. He did not include the serial number of one that I own.

You have an interesting rifle coming. I am looking forward to hearing more about it when you get it in hand.

#20486 is listed by serial number in the article as being a transition rifle.

A bit of trivia: Some of the last Model of 1922 rifles produced had the 1922M1 bolt and magazine. I own one of them and know of one other.
    I have read three documents from the period that confirm the 1922 Models with 1922M1 bolts were produced.
    Last edited by Herschel; 03-31-2015 at 08:04.

6. Default

Herschel my rifle is #9023

Blog Entries

#9023 is what I looked up in the SRS records. I am making too many errors. I had better sign off for the evening.

8. Default

The 22 cal Springfield did not sell that quickly. Often rifles would sit at Springfield waiting for a buyer. When the rifle was sold it was usually upgraded before going out the door, hence the 1922 rifles with 1922M1 bolts. As Herschel has stated, there are documented rifles. In the same manner you will find 1922M1 NRA versions with the early M2 bolts. These are the rifles Butch Eyberg observed. Again, there is an actual 1922M1/M2 rifle, but this is a later unique piece. Barrel dates run into the M2 production run and metal has a very nice rust blue finish. I have observed barrel dates of 1935 and 1937. Stock are the NRA style.