Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Another M1922 Springfield

Hello,

I purchased this rifle and although I have researched some over the last few years it would interest me how much of this rifle is original.

The things that I know about it are the barrel is marked 10/26 and the receiver is marked M1922MI. I think it is a NRA sales rifles as the barrel is D&T rearward of the stock band. That's about it,so if there are any experts out there, I would be highly appreciative of your thoughts on my new rifle....good or bad.

p.s. The rifle weighs 9#'s,LOP is 13.5 " and barrel length is 24"

One thing that interested me was this looks to have been upgraded to the M2 standards, but the receiver was not marked as such. Also the receiver looks blacked and the barrel rust blued? The rear sight is a Lyman 48C? But I don't know if the front sight is correct.

Does the #9023 show up in the DCM sales records? In what configuration?

Yes it Did:

9022M1N 100129DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42
    9023M1N 120729DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42 NRA SALES SAMPLE
    9024M1N 112929DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42

Last edited by Fast996; 07-27-2015 at 09:24.

I believe you have a bit of a "mongrel" there . . . .

Being that the receiver is blued, marked M1, and drilled and tapped for the rear scope base, it might be a "sales" rifle (as is the stock) . . . but . . .

My M1 sales rifle looks just like yours . . . . except for the barrel.

My M1 sales rifle does NOT have the caliber inscription on the breech-end of the barrel . . . I think only the "issue" type had this inscription.

When Herschel Garner weighs in on you rifle, he will straighten us BOTH out on your rifle.

I also have the M2 bolt and magazine (as well as the original, matching serial, M1 bolt/magazine), so I can switch from the M1 to M2 configuration at will.

Never-the-less, you have a dandy rifle there . . . it should serve you well! --Jim

3. Default

Thanks Jim,

You are talking about the "long rifle markings on the barrel? Does your rifle have the M1922MI marking too,with the same style bolt and markings? Also I think this receiver looks to be "blacked",but since it is still in shipment,it could be blued.- Roger

Yes, Roger, I am talking about the "long rifle cart'ge only" marking. (My rifle lacks this marking on the barrel.)

My rifle has the very same M1922M1 receiver marking also.

I believe your rifle originally had a M1 bolt and magazine (as has mine) that was serialed to the receiver.

The "black" color of your receiver is likewise the same as mine . . . that's why I believe your receiver (and possibly the barrel also) is ORIGINAL finish from the armory.

Is the bolt "trough" or "raceway" of the receiver "bright"? (I'm thinking it is.) If so, I believe it is NOT refinished.

Is the bolt serialed to the receiver?

I'm of the opinion that your rifle is an armory-produced, "sales" version that was converted to the M2 configuration using an "issue"-style barrel that was blued (rather than parkerized), and somehow escaped the M2 stamping on the receiver.

It could, however, have had its' barrel replaced with a blued "issue" type OUTSIDE of the armory . . . hence the lack of M2 marking on the receiver ring.

It also could be that the early "sales" rifles DID have the "long rifle" stamping on the breech end . . . I just don't know--I'm still learning!

As I said, when Herschel sees this thread and your great-looking rifle, he will give us his take and we BOTH will have the correct "scoop"!

He is the modern-day "guru" of all things Springfield Model of 1922!! --Jim
    Last edited by JimF; 03-30-2015 at 07:18.

5. Default

Hello Jim,

Yes the bolt matches and about the barrel,it is dated 10/26 which would be correct I think for the serial number on the receiver. I think I have seen some sales rifles with that LR cart'ge marking. I found this info on the net.....

"The U.S. Rifle, Cal. .22 M1922M1 (N.R.A.) as made for sale to NRA members differed from the issue version in that it was fitted with the Model 1922 NRA-style American walnut pistol grip stock assembly and the barrel and action components, exclusive of the bolt body, were blued or blackened rather than Parkerized. Body of the bolt was polished bright and was etched with the serial number of the receiver. The barrel and receiver were drilled and tapped for scope blocks, 7.2" on centers."

Now the receiver and barrel look like they are not the same,but like you say Herschal would have probably come across a similiar rifle. Thanks

Jim, I found this gun. It is a later serialised M1 more like a transition,but it does have the LR cart'g marking. This gun is later so it looks to be rust blued.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12928703
    Last edited by Fast996; 03-30-2015 at 09:07.

6. Default

The finish on this rifle appears original. This is the later receiver markings, changed from the first style so that the drilling would not obscure the markings. The caliber markings were added on later 1922M1's, but off hand I cannot remember when this occurred. Yours is an NRA version of the 1922M1 that has simply had the bolt replaced with a late M2 bolt (note the ability to adjust the headspace?) This could have been done at Springfield, or later by a previous owner. There were a few 1922M1/M2 rifles produced, but these are not simply rifles with later bolts added as suggested in an article by Butch Eyberg. These M1/M2's were later, totally different rifles with later dated barrels with blued metal.
    The NRA rifles you mention were a totally different rifle as well. These rifles will have the NRA stock, but will have a parkerized finish. The list of serial numbers of these rifles was available from Springfield Research in the past.

The front sight you mentioned looks to have been filed down for a lower profile. Probably so the rear peep need not be positioned excessively high to have a better "cheek weld" with the stock comb.

Emri

8. Default

Sorry,
    The NRA rifles I referred to above are the NRA M2's.

Blog Entries

If the front sight blade has been filed down you might want to replace it. It is the same sight blade used on the 1903 rifles. They are readily available and inexpensive..

There is not much I can say that has not already been said about rifle. If the headspace adjustment screw head has been covered with soft metal that would be pretty good circumstantial evidence that the bolt was installed by SA.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
    If the front sight blade has been filed down you might want to replace it. It is the same sight blade used on the 1903 rifles. They are readily available and inexpensive..

There is not much I can say that has not already been said about rifle. If the headspace adjustment screw head has been covered with soft metal that would be pretty good circumstantial evidence that the bolt was installed by SA.
    Thanks again Herschel