Default Case find at the range

I was at the range today and as I almost always look around for brass, I came across some .30-06 brass that looked unusual. (sorry no pics. I swear I'll buy a cam one day) The case is stretched real bad above the above the heavy part of the base. There is 1/4" or more indentation or shrunken in that area. I don't know who shot those but he should head to a gunsmith post haste. Bad head space I think or wrong caliber in a rifle. I don't know which.

It's a wonder there wasn't a head separation from that case. I wouldn't reload it too many more times!

It's a wonder there wasn't a head separation from that case. Needleless to say, don't reload it.

We sure do need a photo. An indentation (shrunken area) in the case above the solid head does not sound right. A full power load would iron out the case body, not the opposite. There are legitimate special cartridges that have different treatments of the case body above the solid head and maybe that is what you picked up?

I think it's berdan primed anyway. I plan on cutting it in half to see what the inside looks like.

6. Default

Yes, get a pic, and maybe you should make a poster and put them up at the range, hey you with this rifle, get help fast!

Perhaps today I will have time to cut one in half. Been taking care of my sister as she just had operation.

Finally got around to cutting open the case. It's berdan primed and mic's out at 1.275. The inside is not bulged in any way and is smooth. This depression is only on the outside of the case and it looks like it was roll formed. Must be a factory mistake I guess.