Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1903 Remington Restoration Complete Pic Heavy!

Default 1903 Remington Restoration Complete Pic Heavy!

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd share one of the few projects I set out to complete and actually follow through with....

Started out with a 1903 Remington, original finish and the barrel is a replacement but gauged at a TE 0.5 and MW 0, so essentially a brand new barrel. The barrel should be a January - March 1942. If I find one I'll swap out but I'm kinda burned out at this point. You'll see why.

Came in a Keystone Replacement C Stock. Had a few Remington parts but at least gave me a platform to work with. The right parts really helped.

More pictures...

The parts that were swapped out before I took the pictures were the

Rear sight base, sight hoot, front sight blade, Cut-off, and bayonet lug. I had spares so I immediately replaced those.

Here is the finished product.

More pictures

There she is.

I was fortunate enough to find a Boxed RLB stock (which has some issues like a chip behind the tang, someone cut a chunk out of the TG area, and routed out around the rear action screw [fortunately, that's covered up and inside the stock and you can only see it when the rifle is disassembled])

The stock also came with a Remington Buttplate and the action I found later happened to have a Remington Trigger guard.

The Remington lower band is not the original finish but the best with what I could find they're hard enough.

The blued 1903 Remington bolt came from Greece and was pretty pricy but beggers can be choosers. I love the contrast between blued and parked parts.

At the end of the day it's a "put-together" which I know the experts can pick a part and probably is only worth 2/3 or 3/4 what an all original would be.

But you do the best you can with what you got!

What do you all think?

I don't like naming people or quoting people without their permission. But there were a few members, one in particular that really helped with answering a lot of difficult questions. I almost bought a heavily faked stock on gunbroker and it helped me from learning a very very expensive lesson.

I am truly grateful for the knowledgeable members that are willing to share their expertise and advice. It keeps me grounded and from making poor choices. Not to mention it's be an absolute blast in the process!

Sorry the pictures aren't better quality I'm not the best photographer.
    Last edited by Smokeeaterpilot; 03-24-2015 at 02:43.

I really liked the end result to your resto effort. Finding a boxed RLB stock was a small miracle in itself. Like you said, " you do the best you can with what you got."

Yeah I sometimes wonder, put this in the hands of one of the more knowledgable members probably would've turned out better, but I'm still learning. Thanks for the support! Glad I didn't screw it up.
    Last edited by Smokeeaterpilot; 03-24-2015 at 03:05.

Very nicely done!

8. Default

Nice job. You still need the bolt shroud and firing pin. I don't know if the bolt shroud should be the 2 position or 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Punch the Clown View Post
    Nice job. You still need the bolt shroud and firing pin. I don't know if the bolt shroud should be the 2 position or 3?
    The shroud I have on there now is blued with an R right behind the bolt handle on the shroud. Now I'm starting to worry did I put on an incorrect part? 2 position or 3 is over my head...

Thanks guys!

Only thing I wish I did was take a picture of the hand guard before and after. The one I received was almost NOS and very "blonde" in color. A friend of mine (his wife actually) does beautiful stock work and blended it to match the RLB stock. I think she did an amazing job! You can barely tell they weren't together from the start.